A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Italy

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar

Italy

Kristi and I have been talking about going to Italy for a few weeks now, and I think we are targeting the month of September (maybe the 3rd through the 28th.....still not sure).

I know that MarkP used to travel all over Italy quite often, but he no longer responds to posts here.....so, I was wondering if anyone else has been there, hangs out on weekends there, used to live there, etc.?

What is not to miss? What IS to miss? Where are the best places to eat? And any other info anyone might have. Remember that I don't really like tourist traps and we prefer things off the beaten path so to speak.

We are talking about visiting Rome, Sicily, and the Tuscan region while we are there if that helps.

Thanks,

E

Rome is a great city! You should visit the Vatican City. And go into some of the churches if you like art. Really great paintings etc. and enormous churches.

Quote Originally Posted by EVPohovich
    Kristi and I have been talking about going to Italy for a few weeks now, and I think we are targeting the month of September (maybe the 3rd through the 28th.....still not sure).

I know that MarkP used to travel all over Italy quite often, but he no longer responds to posts here.....so, I was wondering if anyone else has been there, hangs out on weekends there, used to live there, etc.?

What is not to miss? What IS to miss? Where are the best places to eat? And any other info anyone might have. Remember that I don't really like tourist traps and we prefer things off the beaten path so to speak.

We are talking about visiting Rome, Sicily, and the Tuscan region while we are there if that helps.

Thanks,

E
    reading this..the only thing I could think of (expect!) are the pics your gonna bring back.

DO NOT LET ME DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EVPohovich

Thanks,

E

I loved Rome, Venice and the Agean coast. Tuscany was nice, but I felt like you need to spend more time in one place to really appreciate it (like a month). We stayed at an amazing hotel in Siena, let me see if I can find the name.

Skip Pisa. Florence is good if you are into museums and churches, but that's about it. Rome is a way better city though.

d.
    dlowe93

I didn't think much of Rome, it felt like just another European city but with random Roman remains spread around. Down the coast, nearer Naples, is a town called Sorrento. It's really beauitful and is in easy access of exciting places like Pompeii. Highly recommened.

dlowe93: If you find the name of that hotel, I would like to know

Rome was cool, but when I arrived into Naples - I hitchhiked actually - I loved it there. Florence I skipped - and just sorta traveled out of Italy further north when I got the chance.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    I'd try to arrange a tour of a small automobile manufacturer if by some chance you pass through maranello.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    I'd try to arrange a tour of a small automobile manufacturer if by some chance you pass through maranello.
    Actually I am looking into the weekend driving course they offer...

Sienna, an ancient town in Tuscany, is an amazing place. It's chock full of tourists in the summer but it's still worth visiting. The history of the town and its annual horse race is quite fascinating. Florence is glorious and Pisa is under-rated, there's much more to it than the tower. Venice is worth visiting while it still retains something of its character.

I've been to Italy a couple times.

Rome is cool. I thought St. Peter's Cathedral was pretty incredible inside. I enjoyed the forum.

Sienna was interesting, I was there for a day, I think it is a good city for a day trip.

Florence is my favorite, it is a beautiful city. Reminds me of Seville.

Venice was nice but very stinky. It's nice because it's so quiet and it's a unique place.

I went to Como up north and didn't find it very exciting but the scenery was nice.

Love Italy - beautiful country.

Rome can be touristy but I would still recommend it because it's just such an amazing looking city. If you do go to Rome, visit the Trastevere area to the west of the city for great views and a really nice area of bars and restaurants.

IMO the pizzas in Rome are the best - really thin and crispy - how I like them. If you go down to Naples you'll find the Pizzas have a thicker base which I don't like.

Venice - if you avoid the main tourist area (St. Mark's Square) it's actually fairly quiet and is worth visiting just to walk around and see the sights (wouldn't bother with a gondola though - you'll see more on foot).

If you're in Venice ask for Sardines in vinegar and onions - Venice speciality and really tasty. Also try the Spaghetti e Vongole (Spaghetti with clams) - you'll get this all over Italy but is particularly good in Venice and down south along the Amalfi coast.

Down to Tuscany - Florence and Siena. Florence is beautiful but can be noisy and full of traffic. If you do go, go up onto the hills around the city for the famous view of the city and the duomo. The market in Florence is also worth a visit if you're into your food. When you're in Florence, make sure you drink loads of Chianti Classico and have a Tuscan beef stew.

OK - This is all quite touristy at the moment - when you're in Florence, get out of the city into the Tuscan countryside for some great walks. You'll also find quite a few towns around there have wine tours which I would highly recommend.

If you're looking for a seaside/scenery holiday you couldn't do much better than heading down to the Amalfi Coast. Seriously - I would advise anyone to make sure they visit the towns along that coast at least once in their life. The scenery is breathtaking. Get a train down to Sorrento (someone mentioned Sorrento before). And then get a bus from Sorrento to one of the towns along the Amalfi coast - Positano, Ravelo and Amalfi are all worth a visit. I stayed in Positano which is more picturesque than Amalfi but for the most amazing views you could stay up in Ravelo although you've got a mighty hike down to the Beach from there.

It's a brilliant country - I've been there for the past 2 years and am tempted to back again this year...

Quote Originally Posted by loydall
    Love Italy - beautiful country.

Venice - if you avoid the main tourist area (St. Mark's Square) it's actually fairly quiet and is worth visiting just to walk around and see the sights (wouldn't bother with a gondola though - you'll see more on foot).
    Yes. I forgot to add, if you go to Venice, stay in Venice. The place is filled with day tourists, but clears out in the evening. Get up early, then take a long siesta and go out to a late dinner. Venice at night is awesome, and a great walking city. You will probably get lost, but it's not that big, so eventually you will figure it out.

d.
    dlowe93

Last edited by tonytryout; 01-06-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytryout
    you must try the wild boar sarnies from "burger vans" in some rural villages and market places!
    Oh man - you're not wrong.. take me back... The wild boar is great.. wild boar salami - really fatty.. so good..

Also

Quote Originally Posted by tonytryout
    Camucia - great market place there and you can do some bantering
    Sorry - had to laugh - it's bartering not bantering...

bantering: to poke fun good-humoredly

Sorry - I just found the idea of going to a market and poking fun at the traders amusing...

Last edited by tonytryout; 01-06-2007 at 06:58 PM.