A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] Keyed Dynamic Textfields

[F8] Keyed Dynamic Textfields

I'm having a tough time setting the text in a dynamic text field that rests inside of a symbol that I'm moving around with key frames. I've tried everything from text_field.text to using the variable tracer. I've used globals, hand offs, just about everything and the result is always the same, a blank field. Oddly enough, when I output textfield.text it says it has the text I want it to.

Any thoughts?
    "...there were only two good books in the hotel gift shop and I had written both of them."
    -Douglas Adams

nothing? =( comeon, this has to have come up somewhere, i guess I'll search some more but if anyone has a direct answer it would be VERY appreciated
    "...there were only two good books in the hotel gift shop and I had written both of them."
    -Douglas Adams

I assume that when you say
    ...moving around with key frames.
    you mean that you have a value that you want to show in different positions in your movie. You want to set that value and have that value be the same no matter what keyframe or position it's in.

Just set the value as a variable and name the text box that variable, instead of using the textfield object. The textfield object has a text property that must be populated in order for it to display a value. Therefore, each new key frame is a new instance of the text field object that must be populated.

This will work:
    Code:
    // first frame
    myName = "4sheezy";
    Then draw your textfields with the text tool, set it to dynamic and put "myName" in the Var: field on the property inspector.
    ---
    Thinking outside of the box will get you fired if the "box" is strict budget.