A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Alpha channel - URGENT!

flashguy

Alpha channel - URGENT!

Hello,

One of my customers sent to me a .MOV (Quicktime) video where there is a girl dancing. He told me that it have an alpha channel (in fact I couldnt check that), and when playing at quicktime it appear as a light grey background. His idea is superimpose this movie over a background, like a landscape.

Well, I converted his movie to .FLV using Sorenson Squeezer, but it seems not to preserve the alpha channel. I put a video player layer, and below, another layer with a red background. The result was the girl dancing within a squared light grey background over my red background. In short, alpha channel is not there.

My question is: is possible to have a FLV movie with an alpha channel?
    If yes, How can I do that???

Thank you!
    Visit my business at http://www.ballooncreator.com - Software Tool For Party Balloons Online Design!

Sounds to me that the mov file, indeed, has no alpha channel. If you can get your hands on Adobe After Effects 7 pro...you can key out the background color, then export it as a mov file with an alpha channel.

To achieve an alpha transparent background you have to be sure to create your FLV using the On2 VP6 codec and turn on the alpha encoding. Did you do both of those settings in your Squeeze settings?

flashguy
    Hey,

Thank you both!
    Yes, I was exporting it as On2 VP6 Codec and using alpha encoding. However, I was importing it into Flash wrongly.

Anyway, I figured it out.
    Visit my business at http://www.ballooncreator.com - Software Tool For Party Balloons Online Design!