A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Note] mtasc, v2 components and Delegate

[Note] mtasc, v2 components and Delegate

Not sure how many of you will use a combination of mtasc, v2 components and the Delegate class, but just in case you do this may stop you wasting 2 hours like I just have.

When using v2 components in mtasc you have to use the -mx flag, but as I've found out ( After 2 hours, did I mention that ? ) the -mx flag basically stops mtasc compiling any classes in the mx package ( Would have been good to have actually found that out on the mtasc site itself ), including mx.utils.Delegate.

There's a solution here: http://osflash.org/mx_v2_components_patch but that seems like a ton of work, and if like me, you're only ever going to use components once every blue moon ( This is my first time with v2 ones ), it's not worth the effort.
    So a quick and dirty fix is to just duplicate the Delegate class and put it in a different package, and then import it from there.

And that's that

Squize.

thanks for the heads up. Why is a person like yourself using silly components anyways?
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Got it in my head that writing a profiler would be a good idea, so I'm doing it as an external swf and spitting the data over using a localConnection, and I'm just adding a trace function to it now ( Basically Alcon mixed in with a profiler )

Not a big fan of trying to be a proper programmer, not sure why it's a million times easier to write a scroller than getting a component to work, but I guess I have to try sometimes.

Squize.

nice to hear you´re working on the profiler blue,i wondered what kept you up so long =)
    And yup,thanks for the heads up,think this could come in handy for people working with components,too.
    But regarding what you said: I think its easier to write scroller for you than to work with components cause the v2 components suck
    I don´t use that word often but yeah,i worked on apps a lot at the office and its crazy how much work goes into using the components because they aren´t intuitive to use in so many areas and many of em also have heavy bugs.
    I hope all that gets way better with the v3 components of flash9 since people like grant skinner are working on em.

oh yeah,maybe you wanna check out http://www.as2lib.org/ ,too,i remember they had a good profiler,maybe gives some inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by tomsamson
    I hope all that gets way better with the v3 components of flash9 since people like grant skinner are working on em.
    I hope so too! I have had too many late nights at the office due to those damn components. I only just recently managed to skin the combo box. wooo

Anyway, sorry to maybe be a little off topic but I was wondering what is a profiler?

Yeah normally I'd rather wake up next to my mum than use a component, but as ever I need a really quick turnaround ( Blue, you know what it's like with projects lined up I can't afford to spend too much time on a personal project these days ).
    It's only textArea anyway, radio buttons etc. I'm coding myself.

Thanks for the link, I've been looking at stuff like this:
    http://eclipsecolorer.sourceforge.ne..._profiler.html
    http://www.intel.com/cd/software/pro...une/219898.htm

So as well as the time it takes for a method to run, I'm planning on recording metrics data too.
    Hopefully all this effort will get my code running a bit quicker

Oops, Pugger just caught your post before replying. A profiler is just a way of recording how long a function takes, so in theory this bad boy will record the number of ms functions take to run, with a view to speeding them up.

Squize.

Hmm, thanks mate. Sounds very useful, but too hard to create for me . Good luck.

Can someone explain to me what the delegate class does?

I've heard it mentioned quite a few times, and don't quite understand.

Thanks (Didn't think it was worth it to start a new thread)

And yes, components are PURE evil. Those and embedded fonts. :P

Hope your profiler works out!

The Delegate class is something that came with the 7.2 update.

Basically it allows you to set the scope on a function a million times easier, for example, doing it without delegate;

someButton.onPress=buttonPressedFunc;

function buttonPressedFunc(){
    trace(this);
    //This will output the button, not the class this code is in. Bit of a pain
    }

Whereas with Delegate...

someButton.onPress=Delegate.create(this,buttonPres sedFunc);

function buttonPressedFunc(){
    trace(this);
    //This outputs the class ( ie, "this" ), it's the first parameter in the create method, that's what sets the scope.
    }

I believe it's been made obsolete with AS3, but in the mean time, it's a cheeky little winner.

Squize.

Oops forgot to mention when it comes in really handy, when you're using things like the loadVars class, and you have all the eventListeners in there, you never know what the hell the scope is inside those, so it sorts out that problem really easily.

Squize.

That profile thing sounds cool, have to look into it.

Ya, components suck bad when coding for them. At work we deal with a good many of them. And I think one or two were easy too use. The reset you could basically write a book on how to use them.

Yeah had a quick play trying to just alter the font in the textArea component but it just wasn't having it, and I didn't want to get too bogged down with it as it's more than likely only going to be an internal app anyway.

Squize.

Thanks for the info Squize.

This is easier than passing this as a parameter for a function call. Done that a few times.

Mate, I'm so dirty with my as1 that I've used this a lot

function whatever(arg){
    this=arg;
    }

Where arg is the calling "this".

Shock to the system moving over to as2, all my lazy cheaty ways came back to haunt me.

Squize.

for those that don't know, check out your mx classes, there's some useful utils in there. I've used the ClassFinder one many times
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade