A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: need help referencing main timeline

need help referencing main timeline

Hi, this is my first post here in the forums. I have a movie clip on, lets say, frame 10 of the main timeline. Within the clip I've placed a button with the following code to bring me to a specific frame using labels on the main timeline.

Code:
    on (release) { 
         _root.gotoAndStop("labeled frame"); 
    }
    Everything worked just fine until I created a preloader swf using the loader component and progressBar in Flash 8 and following the tutorial at: http://www.webwasp.co.uk/tutorials/b...s/tutorial.php

In otherwords my original swf works just fine by itself but once I added the preloader which in turn loads the original swf file, the goto button within the movie clip no longer works.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

well. i've never used the loader component... i've always built my own preloaders....

I'd suggest trying _lockroot to LOCK your root timeline... or try using _level0.gotoAndStop("labeled frame"); _level0 and _root are more or less the same... but when you run into problems using _root, swapping it for _level0 usually will solve the problem. If you're not familiar with _lockroot --> check your actionscript HELP files for details.
    Please DO NOT PM me simply for individual help. Post in the public forums...that's what they are for, and they allow others to benefit as well. - Thx
    OS X 10.3.9 || Flash MX04 Pro
    | del.icio.us || furl || Helpful Source Files || Free Pixel Fonts |

I got it, I tried the _level0 with no help, I wasn't sure what to do with _lockroot so I tried _parent and it worked ! Maybe _root is trying to take it back to the preload swf ???
    Thanks