A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dynamically load a SWF using 3DFA ?

The Flash Man !

Dynamically load a SWF using 3DFA ?

I have tried numerous times to Dynamically load a SWF using 3DFA but every time I try to load a SWF 3DFA freaks out and refuses to show the SWF.

Does anyone have any code samples they might share with me ?

Thanks.
    www.ez-ajax.com OR flash.ez-ajax.com I live to code !

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash Man
    I have tried numerous times to Dynamically load a SWF using 3DFA but every time I try to load a SWF 3DFA freaks out and refuses to show the SWF.

Does anyone have any code samples they might share with me ?

Thanks.
    Please check here:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=619974

The Flash Man !

3DFA is still unable to deal with dynamically loaded SWF's

3DFA is not able to show the 2 dynamically loaded SWF's when viewed using 3DFA in run mode.

Flash player does show both slider movies however the slider on the right is non-functional; the thumb button does drag and drop but the edit box does not scroll on the right.

This behavior also matches my results when trying to dynamically load more than one SWF using 3DFA.

The bottom line is if you want to use more than one dynamically loaded SWF at a time you will want to use something other than 3DFA - possibly use Flash Pro 8 or the like.

Yep, the preview is limited and has some things that work different vs. a flash player.
    Look more carefully, main2 example works ok in flash player. Sure it is kinda hack, it uses button 'mouse over' to detect which one of two dynamicly loaded movie to play and stops other one.

The Flash Man !
    Okay, that is slick for 3DFA.

The problem with 3DFA is that it is also very limited for communicating outside the Flash which means 3DFA ain't gonna be the thing you use to connect to your database or your server to do things you would have to do with Flash Pro 8, for instance.

If you wanted to use 3DFA as your only Flash development gizmo and you wanted to publish a Flash only site that made heavy use of a database via CGI you ain't gonna use 3DFA unless you had no idea what you were trying to do. 3DFA doesn't do Flash Remoting at-all. Anyone who is serious about Flash is going to want to use Flash Remoting. Flash Remoting is so much faster than the 3DFA load variables technique that is buggy. Let's not even talk about the Flash Media Server or the Flash Communication Server (renamed to be the Flash Media Server) both of which you ain't gonna use with 3DFA because 3DFA has no Net Connection Object.

My goal is to create a Flash-only site that has the same functionality as Flex which means dynamically loaded SWF's and heavy database use via Flash Remoting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash Man
    Okay, that is slick for 3DFA.

The problem with 3DFA is that it is also very limited for communicating outside the Flash which means 3DFA ain't gonna be the thing you use to connect to your database or your server to do things you would have to do with Flash Pro 8, for instance.

If you wanted to use 3DFA as your only Flash development gizmo and you wanted to publish a Flash only site that made heavy use of a database via CGI you ain't gonna use 3DFA unless you had no idea what you were trying to do. 3DFA doesn't do Flash Remoting at-all. Anyone who is serious about Flash is going to want to use Flash Remoting. Flash Remoting is so much faster than the 3DFA load variables technique that is buggy. Let's not even talk about the Flash Media Server or the Flash Communication Server (renamed to be the Flash Media Server) both of which you ain't gonna use with 3DFA because 3DFA has no Net Connection Object.

My goal is to create a Flash-only site that has the same functionality as Flex which means dynamically loaded SWF's and heavy database use via Flash Remoting.

I highly beg to differ as I experiment with this a lot . 3DFA can handle just about anything flash can database wise and I personally think 3DFA's interface makes it easier to manage.

Second of all, you can use 3DFA with Flash's communication server (which is really expensive :P, I prefer Palabre). You need a good understanding of actionscript to convert the code but once you do, I find 3DFA to be much more effcient in communicating with servers.

I don't think you relize that both 3DFA and Flash Professional Utilize the same players (Flash Player), so in theory anything Flash Pro can do, 3DFA can do too (with exceptions of built-in apps).
    BC

The Flash Man !
    3DFA cannot do the following:

* 3DFA cannot use the Net Connection Object !
    * 3DFA cannot use ActionsScript 2.0 !
    * 3DFA cannot directly interface with the Flash Media Server !
    * 3DFA cannot easily dynamically load SWF's at runtime in the same way Flash Pro 8 can through the use of different depths.
    * Layers in 3DFA are not modeled as Layers in Flash.
    * 3DFA is not able to use dynamically loaded SWF's during development using 3DFA.
    * It is not possible to pass parameters into a 3DFA Flash movie (as far as I know).

On the other hand - 3DFA does these things faster/quicker/better:

* 3DFA lends itself to complex animations that do not depend upon data driven entities due to the fact that Flash Remoting cannot be used within 3DFA.
    * 3DFA lends itself to complex raster graphics that can be easily animated using complex patterns.
    * 3DFA lends itself to the development of complex Flash games so long as Flash Remoting is not desired - this means single player games are easy to create but not multi-player games.
    * 3DFA lends itself to rapid prototyping as long as Flash Remoting is not required.

On the balance, I would use 3DFA for those things it can easily handle and Flash Pro 8 for those things 3DFA is not able to easily handle.