A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [F8] URGENT: is it possible to tabulate data and email back to me?

[F8] URGENT: is it possible to tabulate data and email back to me?

I have created a quiz for my users and i was wondering if it is possible to tabulate the data (ie compare one quiz result pre tutorial to another quiz result post tutorial) at the end of my program, is it then possible to email this data back to me...without the user being able to change the results...dont want them giving themselves extra brownie points.....
    I wanted to do this to see if my tutorial benefited others or is simply a waste of time
    please tell me this is possible...i am fairly new to flash so would be grateful for advice on how to do this
    Many many thanks
    NB

can noone help this poor defenceless little girl?? ie me!! PLEASE anyone out there...just a little help! Thanks!

yes what you suggest is possible. I will save you poor defenceless girl. I am flash mouse!

Quote Originally Posted by calmchess
    I am flash mouse!
    flash mouse to the rescue....now all you have to do is guide me thru how to do it! please please help!! i warn you though i am fairly new to this flash malarky!! though am pretty nifty!!

ok you are new to flash ....first off tell me what you have to work with ....flash8? webserver? php? I can think of an easy way to do this but need to know what we have to work with.

am using flash8, you can find a sample of my program that i am actually working with in my other post...which is at:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=719096

hopefully that link should take you... (i saved it under MX04) so that everyone could view it

thanks

BTW send me a picture of your nifty self to ....calm_chess_player@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by calmchess
    BTW send me a picture of your nifty self to ....calm_chess_player@hotmail.com
    umm i havent been rescued yet!! i am in disguise!

ok I can't open your .fla because I'm at work but I can help without does your current .fla contain the code which will email your information or are we starting from scratch with that part?

it kinda does have that information....basically the user goes thru a series of interactive (selecting hotspot style) questions..at the end on a seperate slide..the final result is calculated. But the thing is i have this as a one time only use quiz before it is restarted and the results are cleared making sense??
    want me to post the code i have on my results page?

basically i think we starting from scratch!
    Last edited by norahbattie; 02-02-2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added

yes post the code.......I have two ideas for you already and 1 of them doesn't require email.

this is the code on my final result slide:

function doScore() {

finalresult = int((_root.result/9)*100);
    if (finalresult<40) {
    comment6 = "You got only "+finalresult+" % "+"of the answers right. Maybe you should try my tutorial";
    } else if ((finalresult>30) && (finalresult<70)) {
    comment6 = "You got "+finalresult+" % "+" of the answers right. Not bad, but can be improved";
    } else if (finalresult>70) {
    comment6 = "You got amazing "+finalresult+" % "+"of the answers right. Congratulations, you don't need my tutorial but please do look at it";
    }
    }
    this.onEnterFrame = function() {
    doScore();
    };
    stop();

ok let me get to work I'll get back to you after while with a few ideas and some code.

someone here helped me randomise the quiz and told me to use this code but for some reason i keep getting NaN on my final slide can you see where the problem is??

function doScore() {
    if (_root.qTotal == 0) {
    comment6 = "Restart Quiz?";
    } else {
    var finalresult = Math.round((_root.result / _root.qTotal) * 100);
    if (finalresult <= 40) {
    comment6 = "You got only " + finalresult + " % " + "of the answers right. Maybe you should try my tutorial";
    } else if (finalresult < 70) {
    comment6 = "You got " + finalresult + " % " + " of the answers right. Not bad, but can be improved";
    } else if (finalresult >= 70) {
    comment6 = "You got amazing " + finalresult + " % " + "of the answers right. Congratulations, you don't need my tutorial but please do look at it";
    }
    }
    _root.qTotal = 0;
    }

this.reveal = function() {
    doScore();
    };
    this.addEventListener("reveal", this);

that would be great!! ooh i must warn you as well, i have the whole thing in a slide presentation template rather than a regular flash file because i didnt know how to stop the frames advancing...is it possible to convert the slides into a regular flash file (i heard its alot neater and alot simpler to use! as in the user cant go back in a flash file but can in a slide presentation)

ok thats not a problem but for now lets just get the email working with your current script.....its really a matter of simply geting your variable data and sending it in an email.

oh and we will add some if else statements to the result variables so that if a value exsists in the final result then the user cannot change that value.

ok i have nooo clue so i have leave it in your capable mouse paws! BTW how would i test it to see if it works before it goes on public display??

well you can just hit f12 to compile it and test it ....it will work the same as if you had a webserver.....Ideally though you would install apache web server and php as a testing server.

ah right!! i think one thing at a time for me at the moment!!

since you are to hand at the moment...is there any chance of looking at the file anywhere? the reason i ask..is that i have about 10 slides with 10 different questions but the same image (ie 10 hotspots) the user just need to figure which one is the right one for that question...is there an easier way of doing this rather than having 10 slides? is there anyway of just changing the question? Actually but then the random factor would be lost right? I wanted abt 20 questions from a bank of about 100 questions created...is this making any sense?? Just wanted to make my life easier

i need to jazz up my program...its being released to my friend on Monday...so lots to do before i give to her!! would this involve alot of programming???