A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash guestbook problem...

Flash guestbook problem...

Can anyone help...
    for the last two days I've been looking on the internet for examples of Flash Guestbooks.
    I found quite a few but can't get any of them to work propparly.
    I can't seem to change any of the permissions levels once the txt file that these guestbooks apparantly write to, is uploaded. However I noticed some of them have different checkboxes selected when uploaded.
    I wrote to my service provider who confired that I don't have to change access levels and they suggested looking on the net for a guestbook script example.
    Please someone help me make a simple guestbook for my website.

Thanks millions!!!

StefanCostain
    StefanCostain.com

It's a long way to the middle launchpad67's Avatar
    You will need to be able to change the permissions of the .txt file to 777, I can assure you of this. Do you know how to CHMOD a file?
    Have a look at my simple guestbook. Works perfectly and can be customized easily. Guestbook

Hi,
    thanks for reply.
    I've already tried this guestbook but couldn't get it to work either.
    I changed the code like it says but wasn't quite sure what to change each part to. Last time I tried this guestbook I think I tried to change every line but this time I've just changed the first line again and also removed ..."just posted in your guestbook\guestbook\n\nView it" from the 4th line, see below.

$mailTo = "Stefan <Stefan_Costain@Hotmail.com>";
    $mailFrom = "From: Guestbook <noreply@email.com>";
    $mailSubject = "New Guestbook Entry";
    $mailBody = "$name ($email) has just posted in your guestbook\n\nView it at http://www.yoursite.com/guestbook.html";

To CHMOD a file, do you mean just right clicking on it once uploaded and checking the allowence levels?? If so I've tried this but it doesn't work.

Lastly I seem to have problems with the @ button in the comments box. I think this is because my computer keyboard layout ect. is set to english(UK) and this guestbook seems to see it as english(US) - the number 2 button has its " icon write an @ sign. No anything about this prob?

I'm soooo stuck. All I want is a simple guestbook.
    Thanks loads!!
    Stefan Costain

also...

See StefanCostain.com to see the guestbook not working. Under contact me.

To CHMOD a file, it must be done After it's uploaded to the server. How are you FTP'ing your files?
    Are you keeping the guestbook.swf, php, and txt files all in the same folder on your server?

Yeh I was doing that with the CHMOD but it wasn't allowing it. When I try I get an error 550 I think.
    Have used a free guestbook for the time-being but would still like to know how to make one which is idependant and doesn't redirect to another site. Any more help massivly appreciated!!
    Stefan

Sounds to me like you don't have the correct permissions set by your hosting company. You should have full access to your account with a good hosting company. Meaning, the only things you can't change are at the root server level. Either call them, or switch to GoDaddy

Thanks anyway...

K. Thanks for your help!

Just thought of 1 more cause. You are on a Windows Server, instead of Apache.

Thanx....

Thanks again. Found a fix now. Gonna do this tomorrow prob. Nice 1!!

Everythings not quite so rosey. Still got probs! Check out "Why does my guestbook resize the rest of my site???" under new posts or actionscript for details. Basically got a guestbook which resizes the rest of my site at 1 point.

Quote Originally Posted by stefancostain
    Everythings not quite so rosey. Still got probs! Check out "Why does my guestbook resize the rest of my site???" under new posts or actionscript for details. Basically got a guestbook which resizes the rest of my site at 1 point.
    Can you just post the link to the thread please.