A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [MX04] Complex buttons, can I duplicate them?

[MX04] Complex buttons, can I duplicate them?

This is a difficult question to ask as a newbie, hopefully it will come out right:

I have 4 buttons. They all contain movie clips, and they take several steps to build (graphic > movie clip > button). They are virtually the same except each one has a different word appear when you roll over the button

What I am trying (and failing) to do is build just ONE of these buttons, and just change the word, each time saving is as a different button.

Problem is, when I change the button, it changes the previous version of the button. This means each time I build a button I have to redo the complex movie clip and button assembly. It sucks.

Please help!

An Englishman in Frankfurt Jimbrowski's Avatar
    Locate the graphic symbol for the text that needs to change, in the Library...

Duplicate the symbol as many times as you need, by right clicking on the symbol in the Library, and choosing "Duplicate"....then edit the text within each new graphic symbol.

You can then duplicate, as many times as needed, the button symbol from the Library in the same way....then editing within each new button symbol, select the text graphic symbol on the stage, and choose "swap" from the Property Inspector, and choose each new graphic instance in turn....and "Hey Presto !!"

Cheers
    Jimmy

Did you know that you are awesome? Because you are.