A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Learn Flash or Dreamweaver?

Beachsker

Learn Flash or Dreamweaver?

Total newbie, great with video editing and some 2-D After Effects. I feel I will be a fast learner with Flash, but have a dilemma.

I have an opportunity to create some website and Power Point seminars for the company I work for. The seminars would need Flash to convert old Power Point seminars for online viewing, and utilize Flash for video clips within Power Point.

Should I enroll in a 2-day Flash course or 2-day Dreamweaver course? Do I need HTML knowledge? Should I take an HTML course? Your input and suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

You are asking, in a Flash forum, if you should learn html instead?
    hmm, i don't think anyone here will send you on that road.

Ok, just a hint: it took me a whole year to become a little bit comfortable with Flash. And I'm not a slow learner.

gparis

If you are a fast learner get a good book on HTML it is VERY easy with only about 85 commands at it's most basic level. HTML is also the backbone of the web, practically every site will have some of it some where so it's good to have it under your belt for work with either of the other two applications.

I have never used Dreamweaver prefering to hand code in HTML. To be honest Flash & Dreamweaver are two totally different applications with different uses. Flash although increasingly being used for total developement solutions is usually used for more graphic rich animated type sites such as games, interactive learning etc. it is also great for sharing video content whereas DW is more a full on static website type app.

Personally I would go for Flash there are more & more literal applications for it & more & more developers are using it - even if it is just for banners on a site. That said to get the most out of the program you will have to use it's programming language Action Script which is Java based.

As with most things in life you get out what you put in Just learning the bones of the latest version of Flash without even touching on the programming will take you a good 3-6 months, to get version 3 AS under your belt well......... I'm 3 years in & still posting in the newbie section! The main thing is it is a great app & you will enjoy learing it & will be amazed at some of the stuff you can do with once you get it under your fingers.

Good luck!
    Last edited by pup100; 02-03-2007 at 02:25 AM.
    You will know everything when you know you never will.

will agree with PUP100, if you get a cahnce to go on a course then flash it will be, as I self taught myself xhtml and css this is the way not html. Flash is a lot more difficult and I am still learning properly after over a year. xhtml and css are important to web design where as flash is another component to web design. Best learn both if your doing web design otherwise flash
    NOW! look whats happened! I told you to watch this space and now its gone.