A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Doors Reunion ... featuring Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)

The Doors Reunion ... featuring Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...vedder_1021472

A full THE DOORS reunion could be possible this year if PEARL JAM star EDDIE VEDDER agrees to perform with the rock legends again. Vedder joined the three existing members of the group for shows and studio sessions a decade ago and drummer JOHN DENSMORE reveals he'd consider ending his stand-off with his bandmates if the ALIVE singer agreed to front them for 40th anniversary shows.

Densmore has been fighting with former Doors bandmates ROBBY KRIEGER and RAY MANZAREK ever since they launched THE DOORS OF THE 21ST CENTURY with THE CULT singer IAN ASTBURY, and even though the trio appeared together at a recent book signing event in Los Angeles, the drummer refused to be part of a planned performance at fabled Los Angeles venue the Whisky A Go Go. Densmore reveals he, Krieger and Manzarek are planning to host another book and poetry reading and signing event in England later this year, but he owes it to the memory of late bandmate JIM MORRISON to only perform with the perfect frontman.

Densmore says, "I play with Jim. If there's someone of that level, OK. I'm not gonna join them with Ian. That's not to diss Ian, he's a good singer - but he's no Jim Morrison. Eddie Vedder? My God, there's a singer." Asked if he'd perform with his bandmates if Vedder was on board for shows, the drummer adds, "Probably." But he admits lawsuits and legal issues that escalated after he forced his bandmates to drop the name The Doors of The 21st Century and adopt RIDERS ON THE STORM instead will always get in the way of a full reunion. He explains, "They've appealed my whim, but it's still a quiet celebration in my mind. I mean, it's gonna go on for another year - more lawyers... It's hard to be chummy with that going on."
    Ok, I love The Doors and I love Pearl Jam and their first jam session a decade ago at the Hall of Fame wasn't bad so ... make it happen, ignore the lawyers! Hey, even if it does'nt work out, if you don't try, you'll never find out how it could have been.

Vids from the Hall of Fame jam sessions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPytfkIf-MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqrUekz7-24

Now with more practice, this very well could work.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    Never be the same without JM, but I am soo wanting this to happen...

I was a big Cult fan from back in the 80's and think Ian could just as easily front a re-group IMO, but Vedder is the man I think to pull of a good show. )
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stbite
    I was a big Cult fan
    Hey, me as well, but damn that's a long time ago. Can't even remember the last time I played a song from them (starts up iTunes).

Fredi
    Last edited by Subway; 02-10-2007 at 06:39 PM.
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Boo. Let sleeping dogs lie. The Doors WERE Jim Morrison. No offense to anyone here, but this is a waste of time. Without the showmanship of JM on stage and the unpredictability of his drug and booze laden performances, these shows will be nothing more than a way to bilk unsuspecting 'fans' out of several hundred bucks.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    I think Val Kilmer would be the best choice. I mean they could Villy Manilly the whole thing....
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Footer... We dont need no Stinking Footers!!!!

I don't know, I agree with Hanratty. I like Pearl Jam. I like the Doors with JM. But together? I'd rather see Eddie Vedder with Pearl Jam.

Let's face it, Jim Morrison is one of the greatest frontmen in history. He WAS the Doors. The Doors without him kinda suck.

Look at their album, "The Best of the Doors".

Kind of speaks for itself doesn't it?

There's just something about the original recordings that makes you feel Morrison is in the room. I don't anything could re-create that spirit.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    That was my whole point. There was only one reunion I wanted to see with a substitute and that was the Beatles having Julian stand in for his dad John. He looks and sounds just like him but with George gone it will never happen.

They did a SNL skit about a Doors reunion without Morrison. It was a hoot. It was just the guys playing the various loops and interments. No vocals. Like you said he was and is the Doors.

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    Boo. Let sleeping dogs lie. The Doors WERE Jim Morrison. No offense to anyone here, but this is a waste of time. Without the showmanship of JM on stage and the unpredictability of his drug and booze laden performances, these shows will be nothing more than a way to bilk unsuspecting 'fans' out of several hundred bucks.

I agree completely with this.

The first single I ever bought was 'People are strange'...40 years ago, wow...hard to imagine.

davidp
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Overrated!

why are bands always "breaking up"? John Densmore and the band are fighting. "I wont play with you guys unless Eddie Vedder is the singer!" You always hear about these "band spats". Is acting like a little kid part of being a rock musician?

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_hunter182
    Overrated!
    Compared to what??

Before bands like The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead & Big Brother and the Holding Company.....you had (snore) Jan & Dean and Beach Boys surfing songs, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, Petula Clark, Herman's Hermits, Gary Lewis & The Playboys, The Monkees.

david

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey
    why are bands always "breaking up"? John Densmore and the band are fighting. "I wont play with you guys unless Eddie Vedder is the singer!" You always hear about these "band spats". Is acting like a little kid part of being a rock musician?
    This particular spat has a long history (probably in WIKI somewhere), but it was basically about royalties, loyalties and name rights. The Doors ended as a band when JM died, really simple....some people just never got it.

Can you imagine a Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger? Who would pay good money to go and see a replacement singer fronting that band of oldies.

david

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by david petley
    Big Brother and the Holding Company
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8npK1q6LY9Q

Not comparing them to anything. I just don't think The Doors are as amazing as people make out. Granted, I do like them to some extent but they're not important to me like other bands of similar popularity and legendary status are.

John, Paul, George and Ringo not making you list then?
    Last edited by j_hunter182; 02-10-2007 at 07:59 PM.

its true. thats what got me asking why John Densmore, at this point, is upset with the band. he should thank his lucky stars that his life-time total of hard work is probably the equivalent to the trouble Martha Stewart had when she had to use generic brand utensils while in prison.

it's just wierd that these "band spats" happen so frequently. any theories as to why? spoiled by not having to work? corrupt by power? egomania maybe?

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_hunter182
    John, Paul, George and Ringo not making you list then?
    well, almost. But I was kinda thinking about the sounds coming from the West Coast of the USA in the late 60's, in response to the wave of English bands that had dominated the pop charts in the early to mid sixties.

I think there is just something about legendary bands, particularly ones with pre-eminent singers...you can't try to repeat the experience without them, it smacks of commercial crassness.

david

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey

it's just wierd that these "band spats" happen so frequently. any theories as to why? spoiled by not having to work? corrupt by power? egomania maybe?
    Money and self-righteousness.

david

Quote Originally Posted by david petley
    I think there is just something about legendary bands, particularly ones with pre-eminent singers...you can't try to repeat the experience without them, it smacks of commercial crassness.

david
    I agree completely (well apart from Paul Rogers' recent tour with Queen because he's a better singer than Mercury!). I don't think this should happen out of respect for Morrison really. As people have said, he's such a distinctive and recognisable character and performer it just wouldn't be right with anyone else.

I don't think we'll ever see Zeppelin reform for a tour for the very reason that the band themselves know it won't be the same with out Bonzo drumming. I wish David Gilmour would stop being grumpy old bugger and tour with Pink Floyd again while the post Barrett members are all still with us. I'm going to see Roger Waters and his band on the Dark Side of The Moon tour. It'll be great, but it's still not proper Floyd

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Dave your right. When the Doors hit the scene at the Whiskey a gogo in what 66 or 67 nobody was doing what the Doors were doing. Everything was either "In my room" or "Paint it black" etc. The only other band that was doing anything that was so far into the future had to be the likes of "The Moody Blues" perhaps Jefferson Airplane.