A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What to get...

-_-

What to get...

Guys, I'm looking into buying some 3D animation software, and was wondering what you guys think:
    C4D
    Bryce
    3DS Max
    Maya

I'm not a complete beginner, but I don't feel like taking one month to learn how to animate a rotating cube.

Don't waste your time on Bryce... not unless you just want an unorthodox modeler. C4D and Max are quite similar actually...

Maya... deceptively simple interface, incredibly powerful. I just can't personally get used to it as much as I've tried.

I say go for C4D, and from there it'll teach you the basics in most any area 3D and then you'll be able to use it in most any other 3D program.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

How about going for Blender?
    You'll save a lot of money. I've tried working with it a bit but never got that deep into it 'cause I rarely use 3D, and when I do I create something pretty simple. Doesn't seem that difficult and I saw some impressive work made on the internet with Blender.
    And then again, if you want to go pro, it's probably not a good solution... Tried using 3DS Max some 8 years ago. Version 3 or 4 I believe Looked like a great 3D tool back then.

Max and C4D are both really good modelers. Haven't played with C4D, but I've heard alot of good things about it. Max is somewhat easy to use, I'm really enjoying the trial of Max 9. Alot of cool new features.

I agree with Gerbicks on Bryce, tried it once and thought it was pretty odd. Haven't gotten to into Blender, seen some amazing stuff with it though.

Gerbicks, good to see ya back man. Hope all is well.

thanks for the welcome back, walsher...

Blender's learning curve is insanely high. Keyboard shortcuts for over half of the program... but invest enough time in it, and it's darn powerful.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Well, not to knock C4D if your planning on working in broadcast Max is the standard. A lot of jobs are going to come down to being able to handle the file type and the fact that Discreet now owns Maya and more than likely these two programs will be merged at some point you would be better off in the long run having a current lic of Max.

It all depends on what you want to accomplish. Regards, Bill
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Footer... We dont need no Stinking Footers!!!!

-_-
    I have blender, and as Gerbick said, huge learning curve.

I downloaded Maya PLE and C4D Demo, I'm downloading Max today.
    Maya seems more complex, and C4D seems simpler. I think i'm going to go with it, but I will have to check Max.

Thanks for the input.

Aaron

-_-
    Max is awesome. I think i'm going with it, just because of simplicity. Thanks for the feedback.