A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [game][beta]PLANned

I'm not really a puzzle fanatic, but I really enjoyed this game.
    Even though I only reached level 6 (didn't have enough spare time to continue..maybe later ), the puzzles were quite fun and fairly challenging, the gameplay is spot on and the game is very original (feel free to correct me on that one). The Animations were appealing but the graphics could be better (however great graphics aren't needed in puzzle games).

Best of luck in the competition
    Viza

do your smiles love u? slicer4ever's Avatar
    edit:nvm

I like the game a lot.
    Simple game play which is a good thing.
    Music and sound works well with it.
    Only problem I had with it...

It was way too easy

I beat all 18 (or was it 17 puzzles) with only needing to restart about 4 times

I would suggest you make a program which allows you to make a network of large boxes and then go backwards from that point to a starting point. This will allow you to make more challenging puzzles which still have a solution.

Thanks again for the feedback!

swak: Glad you like it. There actually ain't multiple ways to beat each level, the levels should each have a unique solution. (But I can't proof that)

slicer4ever: I thought level15 was the most difficult one, it will probably be the last level in the finished game. If I decide to make a couple more levels, I have to check out what makes this level more difficult than the rest.

Captain_404: I'll do something when there are no more moves possible, probably a text displaying "dead end", that's what the output window already traces here on my comp.

ImprisonedPride: The levels changed a bit, but I think it's you're state of mind at the moment, the game is just as simple as before

Viza: Thanks. I'd like to say the idea is not inspired on a similiar game.

shavlor: Great to hear you found it too easy, but liked it a lot anyway. The idea behind the game is easy, and almost something more like an activity than a game. And because of that it won't get more difficult than this.
    I found out small chains aren't necessarily easier than big ones.
    Yes, I made a level-editor (thank god), too bad I don't know how to figure out how to check for a unique solution, otherwise I would have made a 100 levels by now I think.

Wouter

Walnoot:
    you could make a program which is given coorinates of the starting boxes. Then it runs a for loop on the boxes growing them in the order listed, then skipping to the next one until A either the puzzle is solved or there is no more valid moves then marking the moves if the puzzle was solved then going back a step and repeating.
    This should solve all puzzles which have a solution and list all the possible solutions.
    Since you obivously already have a method of checking if a puzzle is solved this shouldn't be very hard to do using your flash program.

I would definitely recomend save as a different file and play around with this. Do you use Arrays to store the boxes? if so this should not be that hard to accomplish.

example of this would be three boxes A,B,C

it first checks A,B,A,B,A,B,C then A,B,A,B,A,C,B,C then A,B,A,B,C,A,B,C etc...
    you will have to make it so that the boxes can shrink (go backwards) when you go backwards. or you could copy the board and make it a recursive function... (not sure how well flash would handle this though)... anyway hope this helps

Well, I'm gonna make a couple of slight changes and then submit my game to Jay tonight.

Nevertheless I think I will rewrite the game and make a new version of it in the future. I'll have to make a program as you suggested.

I hate to admit this, and I think you can't see it from the outside, but this game is programmed very bad. When I came up with the idea in my head, I wanted to do a quick sketch in flash to see if it was enjoyable to play. During development I never rewrote the bad coding. So this game doesn't exist of difficult point-array structures and solve-algorithms, it just checks with point-hittest if a square can grow or connects and then the state of all squares is compared with the solution-value I gave them before, if all squares are the same value as I wanted them to be you advance. (that's why I want them to have a unique solution, and that's why it would be very bad news if someone comes up with another solution)

So I got a lot of work to do, before I can think of a unique-solution-search-program.

Thanks for your message .

Can't you just check the right number of 'joins' are made in a counter for level completion rather that checking the boxes?

Each level wouldn't need to be unique then.

The problem there is that theoretical it's e.g. possible to have 5, 6 or 7 connections on 6 squares:

+ I like unique solutions, the game is pretty easy, if you could solve the puzzles in different ways too, it wouldn't be a game anymore I think.

I could just check wether a square connects to all the other in the field, just like you do in a falling blocks game, so I think I can do it.
    Last edited by walnoot; 02-20-2007 at 03:55 PM.

Mondays Fan
    I'm really impressed with that and i can't think of anything I've seen before that resembles it - very original!