A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extricate vs Pointguard | The Killing Fields...

Extricate vs Pointguard | The Killing Fields...

Image Size: 800x600
    Rotation: allowed
    Must Use Image from previous Volley
    Turnaround: 4-5 days

Ok, I could go on and on about good points in your image but that isnt what this reply will be about. Sorry. Your masking is totally off base, I think the only thing that looks remotely correct is the horizon.
    The grass is blurry when it should be sharp. The focus on the castle walls is all over the place. What is up with the square cut out of the foreground steps/wall. The blend of the water and grass is horrid. Even the storm clouds look odd and out of place.

My suggestion scrap it an start over.
    Now yes I probably should have bit my tongue and just immediately exited the thread but I just couldn't. I would apologize but I think you owe us the apology.

BTW any mods feel free to edit this post if you think it is over the top. You won't hear me complain about it.

btw The above comments are meant to build up not rip down. I know you can do better from prior work you have done. It looks like you rushed this image.
    Last edited by pea3698; 03-08-2007 at 04:01 PM.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

Are you trying to steal Adobe's older work?

I agree with Pea though, I've seen better from you man. A little more look at the perspective would have told you that with that wall, you probably wouldn't see the ocean or lake behind it. Just sky.

well I did the work in about 3 hours, during open lab in class being as i dont have a computer at home.

The side wall I had to create and distort from a piece of the original, and as I look at it now, yes, the cloud and grass are both crap, probably because the image that i used was crap.

Anyways, you think I should start over? Well, maybe I should.

Thank you for your comments.

A good way to learn how to do perspectives in Photoshop is to use Vanishing Point. I found that using that, I can set up a proper perspective instead of having things clash.

Don't get your feelings to hurt. Take your time a bit. It will go a long way. When you think you are done close it an come back to it the next day. You have nice concepts but you just don't seem to follow through. If time is short, that is fine work on it multiple days.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;

i like it

*SMACK you dare go up against my opinions That's the thing about art, to each his own.
    ------------------

oh no, no hurt feelings.....If you have something to say, then say it. I think it could use some more work, but i didnt have THAT much time.

Quote Originally Posted by Extricate
    oh no, no hurt feelings.....If you have something to say, then say it. I think it could use some more work, but i didnt have THAT much time.
    I don't think its necessarily time oriented. Like I mentioned before, try to search for perspective so that you can get an idea of how the image should look. Picture yourself standing on the grass in front of the wall. Would you be able to see the lake?

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar

Take Shelter from the Storm!

I quite like how you've done the wall from the other wall, and the storm cloud looks kinda cool too!
    Ok, here goes...

Used your sea in my image...

hey, how 'bout a title change, and spelling 'pointguard' right, (Ex, you put 'pointgaurd')...

whoops,i apologize...my bad :-/

I like the image, very crisp, and i like the composition. Nice Job.

I shall get to work, and take my time on a quality image for my rebuttal.
    Last edited by Extricate; 03-09-2007 at 08:39 AM.

I like it point. It looks like a toy scene which is kinda cool. You did the fog over the water nicely. The clouds in the sky just look like a displace filter.
    Im digging the pirate hanging.
    Can't wait to see what you come up with Extricate.
    ------------------

Extricate, I have been called on being overly harsh with you earlier and I feel that I owe you an apology. (Yes I know what I said about the apology status in my original post, and I was wrong) It is awesome that you are in here throwing down with us and your concepts are great. We all started somewhere and it just gets better from here.
    Seriously I don't know where that harshness came from. There is no excuse for it and it was uncalled for. I see definite improvement from your first battle here and you would probably beat the pants off me.
    What I should have said is that I think if you spent a little more time after putting the concept together that you would have some awesome images. 3 hours is nothing on an image like you put together. Landscapes are very hard to work on and I think you gave it a good shot.
    You know what they say, "Practice makes perfect."
    And to clear something up, I was not told to apologize, after rereading my post I seriously fealt pretty bad about the way I came off. If it were not for some serious support from people in this forum and others I would have given up Photoshop. I am truly sorry for not following the example of those that helped me when it comes to you.
    I would say that I hope you understand, but there is nothing to understand other than the fact that I was an ass. And I am pretty sure you know that so all I can do is say please forgive my moment of jackassery.
    ------------------

-_-
    Are you trying to steal Adobe's older work?
    Hehe. No kidding.

Attack!

file size is a bit large, sorry :-(

... Personally, I wouldnt look that calm if a big robot thing was attacking something in a lake that close to me...

Nice pic there Ex!
    I like the text placement in your image, and the robot things kinda cool...

...whats bugging me though is what has he blown to pieces in the lake? Is it a car or something, I can't make it out...Good job though dude!

I'll start work on something and have it up soon...

yeah, it was a car...a small, orange car

anyways, thanks for the comments, and i look forward to continuing the battle.

* the compression made the image look fuzzy in some places, should i load the higher quality image?
    Last edited by Extricate; 03-12-2007 at 07:56 AM.