A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "Oops...", says Microsoft

"Oops...", says Microsoft

A rash of users of Microsoft's new Windows Live OneCare service, launched last January 30, have been reporting on Microsoft's support forums that virus scans performed by the service have resulted in the deletion of their OUTLOOK.PST files - the local, centralized repositories of e-mail, scheduling, and collaboration data used by Outlook.

"This new version of OneCare did the damage to my computer no virus had ever done before," wrote one user last January 25. Since that time, a volunteer Microsoft MVP was struggling to help users cope with not only their deletions, but suggestions and advice from phone-based Microsoft support personnel managed to exacerbate many users' problems, in some instances rendering their Outlook files non-recoverable.
    read more here...

Actually makes sense. You delete the files, it can't get infected by a virus. Genius!

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

That's a hell of a way to combat spam. Kudos to you, Microsoft!

EVP's 14000 messages problem... SOLVED!

I thought mabey they finally used vista.

Damnit, that company is going downhill.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    Damnit, that company is going downhill.
    I said the same about Sony.

I actually hope sony goes bankrupt, playstation games have just got less and less fun.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Yeh, I agree with tidenburg, I hope Creative go bust cause my mp3 player keeps playing **** tunes
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Quote Originally Posted by robbmcaulay
    Yeh, I agree with tidenburg, I hope Creative go bust cause my mp3 player keeps playing **** tunes

HAHAHAHA!!...

Creative isn't in control of the future their content producers.
    I met a guy yesterday who's brother worked on Vangaurd. Apparently they were given an ultimatum from sony. Go gold or close your doors. They likely dictated a lot of the features for the ps3 launch titles.

Just saying the downhill slope is because these companies are inflated with fear and greed. Innovate or die, oh and don't write software that deletes inboxes.

Deadlines are a problem everywhere, not just the game industry. Sadly money reigns this world and as time is money, there's never enough time to do the best you could. There are a few game studios that have almost unlimited time and often you see it in the resulting game (Team Ico is a good example, the Final Fantasy teams at Squenix another), but that will always be an exception as long as money reigns.

On the other hand, if there would'nt be dealines, I guess you would'nt be happy either. Duke Nukem Forever as an example.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN
    Creative isn't in control of the future their content producers.
    I was joking...

*woooosh*
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

buy an ipod, it plays Bob Dylan
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

I was joking...

*woooosh*

I got it.

Creative inst incontrol over how cool a 'song' is... so why should SONY be, for how a cool 'game' is?

(since the previous poster had mentioned 'games' being the reason to uprise on SONY)

Quote Originally Posted by argonauta
    buy an ipod, it plays Bob Dylan

HAHAHA.. another good one.

You guys are 'ripe' tonight..

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis F5
    That's a hell of a way to combat spam. Kudos to you, Microsoft!

EVP's 14000 messages problem... SOLVED!
    This is a funny thread...

In a new post-script to a message headed "OneCare's Dedication to Our Customers" originally posted yesterday on the Microsoft Windows Live OneCare Team blog, lead product manager Gina Narkunas declares the Outlook e-mail file deletion issue "fixed," but then attempts to explain that the .PST files containing the entirety of users' local e-mail stores weren't really deleted to begin with: "not that the files are deleted, just that they can't find them."
    wtf?
    The message comes a day after a OneCare user accidentally discovered on his own that his .PST file, which he believed had been deleted when it was supposed to have been merely quarantined by OneCare, had actually been rendered "deleted" by Windows System Restore, which he had invoked earlier in trying to recover the .PST file. In attempting to address an unrelated bug, the user had rolled back his system restore, after which the .PST reappeared within OneCare's quarantine directory.

Narkunas makes reference to this single case in this excerpt from her post-script: "We have also seen some instances where customers attempted to do a system restore after their .pst or .dbx files were quarantined and then could no longer find the files in their quarantine list - not that the files are deleted, just that they can't find them."

If a customer believes his .PST file has been deleted by OneCare, Narkunas explains, that thought was probably put into the customer's head by the kind of stuff he probably read on the Internet someplace.

"Recent reports about this bug conveyed that OneCare actually deleted Outlook files," Narkunas wrote, "which is not accurate and has caused some confusion in the community. It is important to clarify that although in certain cases OneCare might automatically delete a piece of malware, OneCare does not delete archive files such as .pst or .dbx files, nor does the design of the service allow users to set OneCare to automatically delete such files when quarantined."

In other words, the most likely scenario in the case of apparent deletion is that the user probably did something to make the file seem like it was deleted: for instance, deleting the file himself, or attempting a System Restore to recover the file.

What Narkunas does not go on to explain is why, after users attempt a System Restore, the .PST file remains missing. The answer could perhaps imply that the file isn't really being backed up.

But based on the user's reports in the OneCare forum, it appeared he understood quite well where quarantined files were supposed to go, although the .PST file did not appear to be there at first. His System Restore attempt failed to recover the file, although rolling back the System Restore appeared to bring the .PST file back to visible status in the quarantine directory.

While this user's discovery may bring hope to many who have been unable for about two months to retrieve their lost .PST files, it isn't clear at present whether the scenarios of everyone whose .PST files remain lost are identical with this users. However, based on some of their descriptions, it appears not all who lost .PST files attempted a System Restore. At least one other user tried rolling back a System Restore point, with no success.

One other user reports attempting a System Restore rollback, only to find more damage than was done before, including a mangling of his Documents and Settings folder, and an amalgam of several smaller files into one big file. However, this could be an isolated incident.

Yesterday, a recently hired Microsoft anti-virus engineer found himself grappling with the public relations issues regarding OneCare, though he avoided the issue of the deletion bug whose history may extend before he was brought on-board.

Narkunas' post states that Microsoft rolled out its engine update with the quarantine bug fix on March 11, a few days ahead of schedule. She suggests that users sit tight and let their OneCare engines update themselves to incorporate the fix, although some users report their services are not being updated automatically, even when set to do so.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]