A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Use Flash or After Effects?

Hybrid View

Use Flash or After Effects?

Hello all,
    I need to come up with a 6 minute promo video using several photos, movie clips, and animations that wil need to be viewed online. The size for it will be around 640x480 (i'd like 800x600, but i know that's pushing it). My question is...is it smarter to design it all in Flash or use entirely video(After Effects/Premiere)? Will the difference in file size/loading make one format more worthwhile?

Thanks for the insight.

It just really depends on what you want to do with your videos and animations. Like if you need to do editing and special effects, then After Effects would be ideal. Flash is good for size and the ability to bring in animations and videos externallly via actionscript. You also have the ability to preload stuff too. So you could break your 6min promo into smaller 1min pieces for example and string them together, preloading the next one as you go and ease loading time that way.

So again, AE will have the editing advantages, Flash will have loading advantages. But I'm no expert by any means. I'm more experienced with Flash and do most of my work there so I don't know the full capabilities of AE. I've only used it a couple times. But I hope this gives you some idea and good luck with your project.

Cheers!

~burn
    This is your brain. This is your brain on script.