A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: artwork advice?

artwork advice?

Hi guys, I am very new to flash, and just wanted to ask you guys what software you create your artwork and characters in etc.

Do you create them in illustrator? If so, how do you export them so they remain vectors with with transparent backgrounds so they can be moved ect in flash. Just wondering how to make a simple man shape with waving arm and moving legs etc? I did a few shapes in illustrator then simply selected them and pasted them in flash and it seemed to work, although I couldnt change the shape of anything in Flash.

I know this is quite basic, but I have no idea whether to start making characters in Flash (a bit limited) or use illustrator or even photoshop?

any advice would be most welcome

Thanks

Student
    flash is more powerfull as you might think- unlike Illustrator, Freehand, Xara, Corel,... and all the other old fashioned vector edtors flash has a unique way of handling cuts and masking objects if you draw them. For example when you draw a shape and draw a line over the shape the shape gets automaticly cut into 2 without doing a path operation.

But I know that there are some gurus for Illustrator out there who grew up with it, same can be said for flash or any other tool that has enough functionality.

But hey it´s not that artwork is only done in vector editors,- there are 3d packges, painting application and Image editors.
    So it´s best propably learning booth,- Illustrator has some important tools for DTP and print as well as some usefull vector tools such as the spray tool that flash hasn´t so I´d say each tool has it´s own benefits

I prefer to create directly in Flash. I've grown to prefer it's tools to any of the other vector programs out there.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

Student
    just to show an example of what was done in flash:

- through I drew most of the shapes (note: no lines at all) based on a drawing this kind of style is certainly faster done as in most other vector packages who only feature a pen- tool as line/bezir constructor

nice work render dude
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Doesn't the name say it all?
    Heh, there's a whole How to Draw Manga book based on flash illustration. Despite what you'd expect, it's actually quite helpful for general composition in flash (that happens to not be animated).

Student
    @ BlinkOk: should I post more of such trace art - did alot in the past. Sadly only a few are based on my sketches

fireworks isn't bad

I sometimes use fireworks and then add layers for more detail in flash esp if i am going to animate
    Attached Images Attached Images

flash fla

This was a very basic animation alot of fun to do though. All of the shapes where drawn using the oval tool and then saved as a symbol to the library. Then I draged an incident onto the work area and fliped it by playing modify/transform, or by manipulating the pts.
    hope this helps
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Animart67; 05-04-2007 at 08:15 PM.

Cut and paste anything you draw in illustrator to flash, it would be pasted in groups. To edit them either you should go inside the group and change it , or select it press ctrl+B to break it apart and edit it.

I always use just flash to do any kind of art work. I just love flash drawing tools. Practice a but and you'll love them.