A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Hosting

Hybrid View

Recommend Hosting

Sorry if this is not supposed to go here I was not sure where to put it.

I am looking for a new web hosting company. I was using 1and1.com but they could not do something I wanted to do and they pissed me off with their solution. (I just wanted to connect my dreaweaver form to a database. They were not compatible) so it wasn't a rediculous request.

Anyway I have been looking at www.ixwebhosting.com and http://www.hostgator.com/. Do any of you use either of these or do you have better recommendations.

Basically my personal requirements are simple all I need to do is connect a form on my web site. But I have clients how will need alot more. Right now I need one for eccommerce and one for a very big site.

Thanks for you opinions

I use www.one.com
    Very good.

I did a whooooooooooooooole lot of research over a month or so through www.webhostingtalk.com. I hate moving hosts, but coming to the end of a 3 year free offer from 1and1 I had heard so many bad things about their billing and help that there was no way I was going to continue with them as a paying customer. So spent some time doing the research, checked out all the good and bad reviews from anyone mentioned, and in the end it boiled down to two choices for me, www.asmallorange.com and www.budgetreseller.com. They had very, very few negative reviews, and didn't oversell their plans, which is something to consider.

I went with budgetreseller.com over asmallorange.com mostly due to being able to set up separate domain accounts in the future if I wanted to. I've had no issues with them at all, and they have been quick with any help requests.

Keep in mind that one person's opinion doesn't make a host good or bad, so you really do need to do a little research if you're someone like me that would just like to have a decent host that caused minimum issues. Hence why I spent the time, with the hope it means no moving for a few years at least.
    Last edited by TheOriginalFlashDavo; 03-25-2007 at 09:17 AM.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalFlashDavo View Post
    I did a whooooooooooooooole lot of research over a month or so through www.webhostingtalk.com. I hate moving hosts, but coming to the end of a 3 year free offer from 1and1 I had heard so many bad things about their billing and help that there was no way I was going to continue with them as a paying customer. So spent some time doing the research, checked out all the good and bad reviews from anyone mentioned, and in the end it boiled down to two choices for me, www.asmallorange.com and www.budgetreseller.com. They had very, very few negative reviews, and didn't oversell their plans, which is something to consider.

I went with budgetreseller.com over asmallorange.com mostly due to being able to set up separate domain accounts in the future if I wanted to. I've had no issues with them at all, and they have been quick with any help requests.

Keep in mind that one person's opinion doesn't make a host good or bad, so you really do need to do a little research if you're someone like me that would just like to have a decent host that caused minimum issues. Hence why I spent the time, with the hope it means no moving for a few years at least.
    i agree this ..

www.bluehost.com
    RULEZ!
    200 Gigabyte Hosting Space (NEW!)
    web hostingHost 6 Domains on 1 Account!!!
    2,500 POP/Imap Email Accounts
    2,000 GIGS of Transfer (NEW!)
    SSH (Secure Shell), SSL, FTP, Stats
    CGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MySQL
    2000/2002/2003 Front Page Extensions
    Free Domain Forever!
    Free Site Builder (NEW)
    24/7 Superb/Responsive Sales/Support
    Last edited by tidenburg; 03-25-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Hosting questions belong in the boardroom.

Hence thread moved.

www.HOSTGATOR.com is horrible, and I would not recommend it to anyone. Their servers are slow, their helpdesk is horrible and its expensive.

They took our site down after a year because we had only payed for year, but they still charged us for the next year. We had to call them and tell them we wanted another year of hosting before the site was up again, even though they had charged us for that next year.

Does anybody knows about a cheap hosting that supports Asp.NET?
    Very few are supporting this...

-_-
    I've been thinking about www.startlogic.com
    I think their windows logic package has ASp.net

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    I suggest www.dreamhost.com.

They have about 165GB disk space that increases by 1GB weekly,
    about 1.7TB bandwidth that increases by 16GB weekly.
    Subversion.
    Unlimited domains, unlimited email addresses, manual access to DNS records, VERY friendly customer support, unlimited mysql. Anything really. All for like $97/year.

They also have an outstanding referral program, so if you decide to sign up, please use my email address, youdontevenknow@gmail.com. It'll kick me some money off of my bill, and you can do the same for people you refer. It works out great for us web developers! People always need hosting solutions.

I personally host on ASO (A SMALL ORANGE)

the FTP (I use WS_FTP PRO) has to be a SFTP connection otherwise you may have problems with transfer.

Aside from that.. I think they are great.. stable.. and a decent help/trouble ticket system where they ACTAULLY email you back in a few.. (usually with-in an hour or so)

I came form YEARS of http://www.xstreamhost.com/ with years of no complaints besides the occasional downtime.. then they went DOWNHILL..FAST

they started ignoring you and their services.. downtime for hours/days email server is a JOKE.. (must be run from a PII e-machine or something)

and the support responses are laughable at best...always maintaining they dont know of any problems.. and solutions that dont make sense..

be advised.

i use www.streamline.net for my own site.. very cheap and good support as well... however if u are creating a site for a 'BIG' client that may have 1000s of hits per day and you need to sort hosting out for them, I heard www.rackspace.com is quite good though I havent used it myself , so do your research ...
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

-----------------------------------------------------
    Flash Certified Developer

research here:

www.webhostingtalk.com collection of feedback on ALL hosts (mostly)

rackspace IS GREAT!.. we used them from my old job on a few things.. but NOT CHEAP! by any means!! great support..guaranteed back-ups..etc.. again..EXPENSIVE!

I really like my ASO account (www.asmallorange.com) 5 bucks a month!.. freat up time..suports everything.. and they dont try to limit you on your emails, add-on/parked domains...DB's..etc.etc

Still a newbie at heart
    Whispers, How have you found your experience with ASO?

have there been any issues? I'm considering signing up with them and just wanted a reliable review!
    **Using Flash 8**
    ---------------------

I like them.. they are not perfect (what host is)...

but I have found them to be VERY honest.. even when trouble HAS occurred..

even taking blame.. (the only time that comes to mind is when i was down for a few minutes.. each hour over a few hour span..

they said they have been noticing a SPIKE in bandwidth by someone the server... that are narrowing ti down to rectify.. hasnt happened since..

any other time. my site has been down.. it was really only down for a minute or two.. server re-boot?..who knows..

but pretty stable..

I believe you need to access your account through SFTP (secure) instead of just FTP if I reember..

PHP 5 has tp be 'installed' using an addition of a line of code to your .htaccess file..

for me its great I need some space and email for my development..

Still a newbie at heart
    Great, thanks for that! I've been reviewing them as a serious option and that has really helped!
    **Using Flash 8**
    ---------------------

I am by no means a 'host jumper'... Ive only really had a handful my whole life.. but ASO has been by far the best., most honest & awesome communicating hosting company "I've" had...

hostgator is good. adding to these try TheWebPole.com too. my hosting company offers you one-stop hosting solution which helps you in various other online services like website building, promoting your website etc everything wrapped under one hood which will save you time and money from going hunting for each services and different places.

Running Plodding & Limping SpockBert's Avatar
    Hi Chaps

Just want to ask the same question really. I've been with Easyspace.com for about 6 years with 8 or 9 different sites, never had a problem...until now.

My site's been down for 3 days, after 3872116 replies from their tech guys I still can't FTP to it.

I'm ready to jump ship. I need to buy another hosting package for someone and I'll be damned if I'm gonna give Easyspace another dime.

So....anyone recommend a host?! Shared server, need php, mysql and thats about it, nothing too fancy.

Thanks!

Banned

re

Sometime it happens we choose a hosting provider for our website, which all services are not required by our website. Also have knowledge about hosting prices because it varies according to the kind of hosting. Top SaaS Companies