A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Any coder up for some (long-term) challenge ?

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar

Any coder up for some (long-term) challenge ?

Hey !

Few weeks ago, the personn that was coding Two Kingdoms Heroes had to go on an undefinite pause, as real-life and studies were catching up to him.

I decided to give it a go, and see if I could continue the devloppment alone, or if I could re-use the old 2K engine. The old 2K engine isn't compatible with the way Classes are handled in Flash8, and not being a very savvy coder, that would take me forever to figure out what is wrong.

I started to recode everything from scratch, basing myself on Tonypas' tutorials, but I have the feeling that here again, i'm up for months before going back at least at the same level the old 2K engine was. I'm not very good at coding, and that pretty much means learning everything from scratch on many levels...

So I'm wondering if any VERY good coder would be interested taking over the coding part. There is still a good deal to be coded, so it is a VERY heavy engagement - the game is at least several months away from being finished, and as it is a RPG, there is a great deal to be done.

Here are some screenshots, some in-game, so far, and some photoshoped

I might repeat myself, but this type of project requiers both a lot of knowledge in AS2, and a lot of free-time / commitment.

Please, let me know here if interested, or if you know any reliable Open-source Isometric engine in Flash that I could use, if i'm meant to finish this alone

Thanks in advance
    Lux

hey lux. i don't have any time to help unfortunately but i would suggest you go to a publisher with your 2k v1 and these graphics and try and cut a deal. the graphics are obviously top quality and i'm sure they would finance a programmer for a chance to distribute it.
    i would also check all the other boards. indiegamer, tgc etc.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Aye, I have also put Flash development on hold (or cut it back to as little as possible ), so no help here (got better at iso after our talk from before :P). Anyhow, I noticed a lot of dark room/light character situations. It would be awesome to see some glowing masks put into effect there.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Knows where you live
    I don't think I would be able to help you much with coding, but those graphics are amazing.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Well well, the opportunity to
    a) See Lux's game in action pre-release
    b) Take on an exciting major code challenge
    c) Have a awesome artist owing me a favour
    d) Add some impact to my resume
    e) Work on a game that has a much higher chance than average of being picked on by some Nintendo DS/Wii publishers (in other words $$$$)

Is appealing, but I don't think I'm a coder of the experience you require. Still, give me a bell if you want another brain working on this thing, maybe just someone to add a bit of code here, a bit there. I may not be lead developer material but I get things done.

Wow thats a pitty about losing your coder. Would be a shame to see those beautiful graphics to go to waist. I hope you find someone soon. I feel it might be hard to find someone to commit for such a long term. But best of luck.

[h]ooligan

No no, I think Lux knows I have first dibs on the gfx if the project goes under.

No, seriously.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)

hey, thanks for the input ...

Not sure what I want to say here, but let's go ...

Yeah, Blink, the game is already in the hands of a "non-flash publisher" ...it's been on several months now, so I wouldn't expect much of it - I do have a back up plan, but they do expect to see a fully, at least flash-working version of the game before they propose it to another publisher, as a prototype ... so here I am!

Now, make no mistake about this - the reason why I didn't said this upfront is because I barely believe in it - aside driving artists into client-oriented creations, my job is also -sometimes- to look at markets, decide a niche, and dig it until we are successfull : in that light, I would say that the odds are against us - most of the handheld market is polluted with big licenses, manga stuff, etc ... Eventhough I would love to: whatever is the handheld market, publishers seem to favor easy money-making reciepes - and I cannot even blame them - personnally, as a customer of "all" the handelheld consoles ( yeah, I have them all ), I'd wish to see a bit more of non-anime games, that don't happen to be Narnia, TMNT, Eragon, Harry Potter, Lord of the rings...nor FF, Zelda, BOF, etc ...well, you see where I'm going ... as a personnal experience, the only satisfaing experience came from Dungeon Siege, Throne of Agony, a "spin-off" the Dungeon Siege license, on PSP, and there again, in 3D ...I honestly doubt there is a market for an upcoming 2D RPG anymore ...

2KH is a game with an old school vision, a certain type of obsession, and the will to make a real, single-player experience in Flash - in short, what the original 2K was lacking. Money might, at the end, come into play, but i'm not planning on it, nor the personn that will join the project should - I cannot say much more than that - I just don't want to promise $$$ where the goal isn't about that.

I forgot to add that there are professional sound designer, and a pro-musician, that are taking care of the sound aspect of the game.

EvilKris > I do like your proposition a lot, but keep in mind that this is some heavy, heavy coding, and that I do think it requiers someone that is very familiar with OOP coding - If you are up to the task shoot me a tell, but if you are uncomfortable with that idea, I would say that it is a lot to chew on, that's what I realized while trying to tackle on the code

Also, about it being an artist that will return the favor - not sure where i'm going right now, but this is likely my last Flash game. I do plan to help on some projects I promised I was going to get involved with, but I do feel that it is the end of the road for me - I would like to go out with a nice 2KH, and I am more than willingfull to share 50/50 of whatever comes out of it, whether it is credits, or money, but I don't beleive I will have the courage to go through another major Flash game. In this very case, I'd like 2KH to have some style over an update of the old engine, most of you know, that you saw 3 years ago...

just for the sake of it, more "screenshots"

and how the game could end up looking like on some dual screen system :

so what has been done so far?

any tile management? i reckon that would take a fair chunk out of the development. I could possibly help with a few things, but I'm working atm, some days i have nothing to do which i dedicate to my RTS, but i could possibly add an extra hand.

so i can help with a few things but cannot take on the full project.

If you do want to give me something to do, i cannot guarantee a finish date for it if its too complex but i might be able to do a few things in a day for you
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

I really think it's a job for one full-time coder - working with chunks made by other people is usually quite tough, IMO.

So far there are "chunks" of it, unfortunately - there are 2 different maps editors I can use, 2 engines ( the 2K one that is to update to flash8, and the most recent one, that is way to complex to me to get my mind around - both being incompatible, but i'm ready to go with what the coder can handle ) - Inventory, game stats, dialogues, etc are all in the old 2K engine, but just started in the latest engine - and save-online features, some AI, inventory, quest log, etc are still missing in the latest engine - and there is a 3rd engine that I started today, but it's quite backwards to the status of the old 2K game ...

In short, I have no trouble having someone recoding everything from scratch if it can help, but I just want to make sure that this 'ideal" coder is here for the long haul.

Knows where you live
    Just out of interest, what does the blue/black orb in the top left do?
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

It would appear to be a radar of sorts.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

What is your budget? You can employ a fulltime coder. Try advertising in all flash websites quoting your requirements. Try sending PMs to expert coders.
    <signature removed by admin>

Hey Lux, I havent been around here for quit a lot of time, and it's good to see you're still active, since you are one of the best artists of this board. I haven't been in coding for years and I'm just trying to pick up my old skills, so I can't help you.

I'm studying Communication and Multimedia Design, and we also have a lot of programming developers around here. Our study is quite special since we don't get any assignment, but we have to come up with projects ourselves. I could try to see if some students are interested in helping you out. If so, they would be working full time for your project and keep contact by e-mail about the progress. Let me know if you're interested.

You can contact me at info {@} planetbauke . com
    Last edited by Baukereg; 03-26-2007 at 05:07 AM.

I have no budget, but I could come up with one - now, unless the project get signed, it's an amateur projetc, so even if I had a budget, I guess I couldn't rival with a "real" salary, as it would come out of my pocket.

Sure, Bauke, if someone is interested, let me know - it would have to be Flash though, you are aware of that, right ?

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    the problem is allways the time, I think everybody have just few free time for their own projects

Seems really nice, I dont have time and the obvious skills for that kind of game

I hope to see it working soon

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

Really nice graphics it is really tempting as EvilKris said . I do have one project going right now but plan to reskin and upgrade the tiles quite a bit. So I could put my project on the back-burner and hope that I pick up some graphics creations skills from you, while working on this project.
    I code OOP exclusively, so this project would be great for me. I can shed 6hours per week for certain. It really depends on what your time budget is.
    Cheers!

Thanks a lot Xploder! - I had 2 PMs from members willing to help, so I'm going to check them first, I will keep you updated - thanks a lot, all, I'm definitely happy to collaborate with a new personn on this, and hope that the final product will make FK proud