A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Flash Version is coming (yeah, really soon now :D )

New Flash Version is coming (yeah, really soon now :D )

yup, now its official, Adobe announced the upcoming creative suite 3 today (see http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=725609 ) and one of the applications is Flash CS3 of course.
    Have a look at: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/
    (check the feature tour video there for example) to see what the new version of flash brings.
    Thoughts?

Hmm, I don't really see anything too exciting that we haven't already seen before. I thought there would be a few more new neat features. Rather then just fixing up on the features they already had.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    All I can say is:
    WOOT
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

ok, wow, yes, and yes and wow and yes

firstly this is going to boost my productivity sooooo much

Photoshop and Illustrator integration, i have been begging for them to include this, that will probably be the most help to me

Animation to AS3 - nice feature, not sure if i'll use it much, i don't like it when built in stuff like that is done, because it can be very messy *components

Common Interface - nothing wrong with it now, but i'll get used to a new one

New Drawing Tools - oh yeah, if flash can do some drawing close to illustrator then i'm gonna be a happy chappy. But since flash can use illustrator files i'm already a happy chappy

AS3 -

Quicktime improvement - don't use much video but sounds like a good feature

Device central - wikid, i just hope a flash lite will become available for all phones not just ones in America.

AS3 Componets - I guess they must be getting better so its a plus in my books (i still don't like them though)

Video Encoding - if the option is available for flash 7 and possibly below then great, however if anyone's worked with Banner clients then you'll know they don't like flash above 6.

All in all, sounds like a good next version, probably the biggest since 8.

Time to put some pennies aside.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

my one main gripe is still that they changed all the app symbols (like the flash f symbol) to just letters in front of a gradient color bg, besides that the cs3 app line seems like a quite big effort pulled there

I totally go with malee, i agree with hool in so far that at first glance it seems like there are few additions but i think all the small additions and workflow improvements together should speed up dev/design time quite a bit which is more than welcome
    And yeah, sure many here already played with AS3 in the ide alpha, flex or some other tool, still its cool to get it fully supported in flash now

Can´t wait

hmmm, didn't see a fancy new IDE Actionscript editor in the list

but the new debugger sounds cool, i like using the one now to clear up paths but it kinda sucks most of the time. That could also benefit many developers. Avoiding all those trace actions.

Student
    I am not that much impressed,- average rather.

- more candy components: bleh
    - Illustrator style tools: doesn´t fit someone like me who´s favourite Vector tool was flash but if booth work fine by me and as long as the original flash working style is still the default
    - animation export: will have to see the export file in detail : I fear messy system

what they didn´t show was the code interface,- or it´s performance because since FlashMX2004 it was purely crap regarding speed. I know that the Photoshop CS3 interface is pretty fast but sometimes has some update issues,- the same seems to be the one showed in the Flash CS3 videos.

after all the only update that seem to matter to me is AS3,- all the other things are no tools I really need because I already worked with many other tools together creating the same you can do now with just flash.
    It looks from some perspective to me as if the Flash package it self can´t be much more improved or at least adobe can´t do that much. Because the overal interface still looks like Flash 8, Flash Mx2004 and Flash MX.

Yeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!

I'm so happy with the photoshop integration, I like to create complete interface in photoshop. Just like when I'm working on video graphics, I always start in photoshop before moving to after effects.

And I'm very curious about the new video encoder.

Render - maybe Adobe will take over Autodesk one day and provide MAX integration

I'll tell you what Flash needs;

-multiple frame edit tool is fiddly as hell. Why do you have to keep clicking first frame/last frame about a dozen times before it does what it's supposed to?
    -auto linkage(same as file names)
    -auto compression of images and sound files to a given format/size
    -more batch tools for renaming images,linkages, duplicating mcs in the library.
    -better debugging. I'd like to know when mc's are accidentally overlapping depths, when they're being removed/born, when certain variables are never being used.
    -some kind of support/integration multiplayer games.
    -IDE for sound production.
    -inbuilt, regularly updating swf encryption

Student
    @ mr_malee:
    I already had that in mind actually,- dont know if you knew that but Photoshop CS3 professional will include a 3d- modeler and texturing tool built in Photshop (no joke!). It´s basicly their vanishing point tool code much much improved. From some screenshots I saw it looks like it supports CAD alike models and propably formats.

WIth all the past 3d- flash renders (Swift, Plasma, Illustrate,...) I could imagine that Adobe someday will offer a "enterprise- professioanl- ..." edition that will have such crap built in. At least the Photoshop thingy shows that they finally react on the demands from professional media industries as photshop has been sleeping way to long providing tools only for the print industry (cmyk, workpath, gamut checker, curves,...)<- all those were developed for the print industry.

edit: did I already mention that I think the price again IS RIDICULOUS HIGH

Actionscript 3, postproduction georgecalgary's Avatar
    Wouldn't come before end of April though.

is it just me or does anyone else get frustrated that you wont be able to use all the new toys when clients insist of having flash published for the plugin a couple of generations back...?

Student
    @mrpauly99: that would mainly affect AS3,- everything else should be compatible with the most recent flash players people have installed (7,8).

Quote Originally Posted by mr_malee
    hmmm, didn't see a fancy new IDE Actionscript editor in the list
    This?

Timesaving coding tools

Save coding time with new code editor enhancements. Focus on relevant code with code collapse and commenting, and jump to code errors with the error navigation feature.

Seems like they included quite some functions I've been missing in the APP, but for coding there don't seem to be much improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpauly99
    is it just me or does anyone else get frustrated that you wont be able to use all the new toys when clients insist of having flash published for the plugin a couple of generations back...?
    yes, Clients will ask, "why can't we do this" and i reply "i can if you let me use flash8", reply "Don't worry about it"

tony - great, i didn't see that. I'm a little more excited now

I suspect that clients will be faster to come over to this version than before, since the difference AS3 makes is absolutely huge, + it already has a pretty high penetration rate (thank you myspace).

I have to admit that I'm excited about as3 and the new components that I've been hearing so much about. The only thing that slightly worries me is the fact that everythings all coming out at the same time for the cs3 suite. You just know that some corners are going to have been cut somewhere, and I hope that the flash hasn't suffered for it.

hopefully there's an original Macromedia guy in there somewhere influencing decisions.