A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: All I can say is... fingers crossed

All I can say is... fingers crossed

Israeli PM ready to talk to Arab leaders

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has publicly invited Saudi King Abdullah and other Arab leaders to meet him, saying an Arab summit's revival of a land-for-peace plan implied acceptance of the Jewish state.

"I invite for a meeting all the heads of Arab states, including, of course, the king of Saudi Arabia - who I see as a very important leader - to hold talks with us," Mr Olmert said at a news conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Jerusalem.

Mr Olmert also said that "if the Saudi king initiates a meeting of moderate (Arab leaders) and invites me and the chairman of the Palestinian Authority, I would be happy to come and voice our views".

Earlier diplomats said the United States and Egypt have been urging Israel to agree to quickly begin talks with a committee of Arab states on how to move the peace process forward.

Several Arab League countries would talk "formally and publicly as a collective" with Israel, a senior diplomat said of the US-Egyptian proposal, calling it unprecedented in its potential scope.

It was not immediately clear if Olmert's own sweeping invitation meant he had dropped his objection to peace talks with Syria, an arch-foe which he has said must first halt its support for Palestinian and Lebanese militant groups.

At last week's summit in Riyadh, Arab leaders revived a five-year-old peace plan initially mooted by Saudi Arabia.

The proposal offers Israel normal ties with Arab countries in return for a full withdrawal from land it seized in the 1967 Middle East war; creation of a Palestinian state; and a "just solution" for Palestinian refugees.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...4/s1886951.htm

Let's hope all parties are serious about it finally.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

Won't happen. Historically proven wrong. The inner-fighting/sect fighting is too rampant to fall under one set of rules. Even if for the better.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

yep.. Hoping is all we can do...
    http://www.badhobbit.be
    --> Please, give me feedback in the "Member Sites" section here.

Damn, would be fantastic if it were to happen.
    ... I have to agree though, the past history and current attitudes prove this idea volitile.

Well, it's not without its historical precedents of volatile parties - even enemies - coming together for the common good. Any chance is better than none, otherwise I might as well not bother getting out of bed in the mornings.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Even if they do hammer something out, what's to stop the various independent factions from keeping on with the fight - if for no other reason than they don't know life without war.

Even Arafat couldn't keep 'em together as a cohesive group and he was the most influential figure the region's known.

Nice thought, but I just don't see it making any difference. Which is a pretty sad thing to have to say. Wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but there it is.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Getting all the Arab leaders together with Israel is a step forward for sure but Iran is the country that needs to be placated before any of the radical groups will be involved in possible peace deals or ceasefires. I really don't see Ahmadinejad sitting down with Olmert any time soon.

Still, fingers crossed for sure.