A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Do we all need the latest Player?

Do we all need the latest Player?

Am I right in thinking that movies published in Flash 8 can only be viewed by people who have bothered to download Flash Player 8. If so that means that the majority of viewers will not be able to view my new content so why bother to constantly update?
    If it ain't broke - break it!

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    With Flash 8 you can publish in any format all the way back to Flash 1. Publishing for Flash player 8 just gives you newer features. Flash player 8 is now getting pretty old with Flash player 9 being out and i'm guessing that most people have it.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Who convinced you that publishing to FP8 will block the "majority" of users?

These numbers are from December (we are waiting for the new stats but trust me they will be even higher)

http://www.adobe.com/products/player...netration.html

FP8 penetration was fast as h##l. FP9 will be just as fast (or faster since now two major Adobe platforms export to it...not to mention Vista requires users to download FP so guess what version they end up downloading).

Thanks Jason and Chris. I finally persuaded my employer to purchase 8 and he was panicking that no-one would be able to see the results. That Penetration Survey should keep him quiet, thanks.
    If it ain't broke - break it!