A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] Load TIFF image in Flash

[F8] Load TIFF image in Flash

How the hell can I load a TIFF image from an external URL in Flash?

Is this even possible? I need to load TIFF and BMP images into a Image Editor I am currently developing, and I have no idea how to do it.

Can someone please help?

Thanks,
    Horea

FK Slacker
    Flash can't dynamically load those image types at runtime - only JPG, GIF, SWF, and PNG are supported. If you need to use TIFF or BMP, you would need to have some way of doing a server-side conversion into one of the types mentioned above...

K.

I wonder are there any Tiff manipulators can help with it? Any good suggetion? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Arron

Designer, Programmer, Musician angelhdz's Avatar
    I know what you are trying to do, because I'm also developing a picture editor, but it's not possible. Flash don't manage .tiff format, so even you manage to make the server side convertion, you surely would want to save the edited image as a .tiff, and i don't think that's possible. But as deadbeat pointed out, you can search for a server-side tool that make the conversion in real time. Sorry i don't know any
    Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

Already mastering AS3. It was so fun. Now into Javascript and PHP and all its libraries

If you are planning the picture editor for windows as an application/projector/standalone, i just made 2 batch files (.bat) that changes the files from .tif to .png, and another one from .png to .tif. Let me know!

The browsers can't use tiff so flash can't. Convert them before using them. Just like you would if you're trying to use them with html.

You don't use tiff for web. Just let whoever is creating tiff's know that nobody can use them.