A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac annoyances

Mac annoyances

I'm sure there are a few recent converters here in the lounge to... what's annoying you about the mac? and subby, gerbs et al, how d'you fix them?

The first thing that pissed me off about the mac was the way the mouse moves... this fixed it for me...

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html

Now, how do I get the Home and End keys to work in progs like Firefox, like in the address bar, I like to Shift+Home to select all. It works in Adium nae bother...
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

The thing that pisses me of most about them. Is that they're Macs.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

This thread could of really done without that. The most annoying part of a mac is that I can't afford one right now. But I think my next system may be a mac...

How is gaming performance on windows with bootcamp?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Shift-Home? That's awkward. Apple A's more accessible. Shift Up and Shift Down can be useful, too.

What's wrong with the way the mouse works?
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

The Mac Mouse via System Prefs is slow as hell.

I use a Microsoft Mouse, so I use the IntelliMouse software and it's as fast as the PC.

The other annoyances... Flash Player is slower on the Mac than PC. No cure yet.

The rest... there are a few annoyances. I've dropped the shadows, gained some speed using the Unsanity.com Shadow Killer free utility.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Student
    I guess everyone will be disappointed when touching other technology. I recomend you searching for macOsx shortcut lists, if the OS then still doesn´t fit your needs you might think of using a different one (bootcamp, linux,BSD).
    What I personally dont like on the mac is that it´s lacking support for tools I really dont want to miss.

Btw. any vista haters here:
    - great potential for beeing the new home of virus attacks (new IE cursor exploit anyone? imo they haven´t learned much)
    - 1 GB ram minimum for optimal work,- propably 2 or 3 when working with PS or 3d apps
    - Genuine Windows Advantage
    - DRM OS....

I have my mouse on the fastest setting and that's just fine. I can go from one corner to the other without lifting my arm from the surface. Last time I used a clients PC a few weeks ago, the mouse was moving way to slow, could'nt work with it and knowing the client, this was defenitely the default setting.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    I use a Microsoft Mouse, so I use the IntelliMouse software and it's as fast as the PC.
    Aaaaah, so do I, i'll give that a try...

Not being able to resize windows as easily (from any point on the window), and not being able to maximise them, is annoying. The applications not having their own menu space isn't something I like. I don't like the dock, the Windows task bar is far more intuitive and easy to use for me, open programs are there and obvious, and so are all your apps, ready to open from the quick launch area of the task bar, no fussy big glassy buttons.

I use both PCs and Macs and there are annoying things about both systems of course.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    This thread could of really done without that. The most annoying part of a mac is that I can't afford one right now. But I think my next system may be a mac...

How is gaming performance on windows with bootcamp?
    I bought a used G4 and a used G4 laptop on ebay for a few hundred $$ each, great buys and had no problems. But I always back up all my data regularly in different places.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Gaming performance in Boot Camp looks incredible. I've seen footage of a guy playing Half-Life 2 on an Intel Mac (forget which one), and it ran incredibly well. Latest version of Parallels has full hardware support for Windows, I think (so I think you can have hardware acceleration even in a virtual environment).

Aversion, the 'resize window from any side' is the single feature of Windows that I like. Quicklaunch bar isn't my kind of thing, though. I regularly need acccess to upwards of 30 applications per day - you need a Dock for that, taskbar just doesn't cut it.

And render, I hate Vista. I read (I think in MacUser, so this is subject to some bias, I guess) that a typical installation of OS X varies from 2 to 3 GB of hard drive space, whereas Vista will take up anywhere from 15-40 GB (I suppose depending on which version you buy). 40 GB for the OS is unreasonable; that's more than half my hard drive.
    You know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by robbmcaulay
    I'm sure there are a few recent converters here in the lounge to... what's annoying you about the mac? and subby, gerbs et al, how d'you fix them?

The first thing that pissed me off about the mac was the way the mouse moves... this fixed it for me...

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html

Now, how do I get the Home and End keys to work in progs like Firefox, like in the address bar, I like to Shift+Home to select all. It works in Adium nae bother...
    All apps on Macs use Cmd+Left and Cmd+Right, you may it a bit easier than End and Home.

Have to say I'm confused about the mouse too. I use an Apple mouse with Apple software to manage it, and I can get from one corner to the other in one movement quite easily, even with a 1920x1200 desktop.
    Last edited by asheep_uk; 04-02-2007 at 05:08 PM.

Again. It's not 40gb for the Vista install. A wide open install is barely tipping in at 10gb. Mine is under 6gb. My OSX install with all of the libs installed is a tad over 4gb. I can tweak them both - OSX and Vista - to under 3gb if I took the time.

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    No real annoyances here, I'm very happy with my MacBook Pro.

Only thing I did find annoying was the eject button but thats was fixed on the last update

As far as the mouse goes, I use a wacom A3 with two screens and have no problems at all.

and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

Asheep, only OS X app I've ever known to use Cmd Left/Right for anything was changing tabs in Adium. You sure you got the right keyboard shortcut there? Definitely wouldn't select anything there.

Me too on the mouse thing - I use a Mighty Mouse set to full speed in System Preferences and find the tracking speed perfectly fine. 1440x900 resolution, I can go all the way around the perimeter of the screen without difficulty.

There is a preference pane you can download (confusingly called Mighty Mouse) which lets you amplify the mouse speed to unreasonable amounts.
    You know you want to.

Flash and Dreamweaver crash on me every day. Maybe three or four times each on a heavy usage day.

I like the finder view with the columns but its always too short to read the filename. Having to constantly resize windows time after time after time really gets me down.

Textedit isn't the same as notepad (this isn't textedit's fault) must. get. textmate.

Games.

My work mac is a pc too and most of my frustration comes from ctrl+c, ctrl+v, ctrl+z, etc vs apple+c, apple+v, apple+z, when switching between/working between the two but that's no-one's fault but my own (i wish they'd unify that - i mean a windows key on a pc that did the same as the apple key on a mac).

however... i love the mac for its many characters that you can type and (seemingly) larger range of keyboard shortcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    Asheep, only OS X app I've ever known to use Cmd Left/Right for anything was changing tabs in Adium. You sure you got the right keyboard shortcut there? Definitely wouldn't select anything there.
    Nope, try it out! Safari, TextEdit, Firefox - whatever. Hold down Cmd and press left or right. It'll take you to the beginning or end of the line. One of my favourite keyboard shortcuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by onine
    Textedit isn't the same as notepad (this isn't textedit's fault) must. get. textmate.

My work mac is a pc too and most of my frustration comes from ctrl+c, ctrl+v, ctrl+z, etc vs apple+c, apple+v, apple+z, when switching between/working between the two but that's no-one's fault but my own (i wish they'd unify that - i mean a windows key on a pc that did the same as the apple key on a mac).
    TextEdit is better than Notepad, by miiileesss *cough* spell check?

Yeah the Windows key is a bit useless.
    Last edited by asheep_uk; 04-02-2007 at 06:47 PM.

windows+r = run
    windows+e = explorer
    windows+d = desktop
    windows+tab (vista) = switch apps

there's a few others, but I've mapped a few things to windows instead of alt.

I don't like the fact that I can't change the Apple OS interface font... too big.

One thing that used to annoy me, when the computer went into standby (you know... idle... screensaver... off) my mouse would go off too. Since the last osx update it stays on! Says me milliseconds!