A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

A friend of mine has opened a nightclub and I am designing the website for him, last weekend I took my camera to the club and got some great pictures and now that the sites concept is just about ready to be put into practice I need a photo Gallery.

There are many out there, some I have used before but I am looking for somehting interesting adn maybe a little differant that I can customise with CSS if possible. I don't need advanced tools like thumbnailing etc as I can do that with automation in photoshop but it could be handy.

Main features I am looking for is say a splash page to select a album then a bunch of thumbnails, click a thumb name and you get a larger image (Prefferably not a pop up) but I am looking for that extra bit that is differant to other gallerys. I was going to do their gallery like how I done this one - www.paulcollier.net/gallery.php but that takes time and the club will probably be having new pictures every week to two weeks and I just have not got the time to do 200 images a week like that, especially as I am only charging him at my base rate.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

this may be dumb, but i think the images in that paulcollier.net gallery are generated through picasa. They have a similar function that does the same thing as whats on that site. I could be wrong that this guy used picasa for it.

I made the gallery on PaulCollier.net and believe it wasn't done on picasa, I wish it was if they have a function to do it.

I resized all of his images and put a stroke around each thumbnail the repositioned them all, and saved it for web, then put it into dreamweaver and put a image map over every image that linked to a popup of the larger image, it took me ages this is why I want a automated script this time but something a little differant like what I done with Pauls Gallery.

oops...hahah, didnt actually read that you made that site ...haah! Sorry
    I also didn't click on the photos..i can see why it took you so long.

I don't mind doing time consuming things like that especially when the next lot of images to be added to that gallery is not till September when Premiership Snooker starts up again, but when a client wants images added every week it is just a pain in the butt.

I have an old version of this and they even have a backend application that automates the uploading process now.

I know you said CSS but just throwing this one out there. If you can get him to pay for the gallery you can keep the source file to use in future projects or your own

http://www.slideshowpro.net/
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

That looks quite good, I will put that one onto my list. Maybe not for the main photo album but for on the front page.