A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Real or Not?

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar

Real or Not?

"Arctic Sunset"

Even if the moon could actually appear that large... I think that the water does't make sense.

what do you think?
    Last edited by tiGRAN=-2001; 04-11-2007 at 03:22 AM.

Nikonist
    Real! Sometimes the air and the bending of the atmosphere work like a magnifying glass.
    Taken with a 500 tele I guess...or bigger
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Hi Frex,

The fact that the moon appears larger near the horizon is due to an optical illusion because you get to compare it with other objects near the horizon..

more on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_illusion or
    http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_110.html

However, taking that into account, and the fact that it needs to have been shot with a long telephoto lens makes me dubious about unnatural texture of the water and the whole wideangle feel of the horizon...

even so, why is the ratio of the pic 10x7.5... I just wish I knew the source of this image haha, does anyone know how to track the flickr thing?

Nikonist
    Long exposure time is polishing the water ripples!
    Looks like I just learned something in regard to the size of the moon...still doubtful
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

wouldn't the sun reflection smear also? and the moon reflection is solid as well.

I really think the water is digitally rendered..

And another thing bugging me is, how low near the horizon was the camera? i mean to be that close to the water with a telephoto lens...kinda hard to pull off

I'm gonna say fake. Although the moon does appear larger near the horizon, compared to the sun in that picture, it is ridiculously large (the moon illusion should also apply the the sun).

Also, the sun seems brighter reflecting off the water than it does in the sky, which is also not-quite-right.

I'd have to see a bigger version with less JPEG artifacts to know for sure, but I'm going with fake.

Flashkid made that Terragen

Actually- has anyone checked out his devient art? He actually has some decent photo work!

http://flashkid105.deviantart.com/gallery/
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna