A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to make a back button??

How to make a back button??

I'm sure there's a way to do this, but I'm lost. I have a Flash projector that loads numerous swf files. There are buttons across the bottom that allow you to navigate to various swfs non-linearly (is that a word?). Now the directive is to include a back button on each page that will function like a browser back button. So, even though you can navigate to a specific swf from several locations, the back button will always take you to where you started. Does that make sense yet?

Island Boy
    you need to use anchor points in your FLA. you use it just like a frame label mostly except you change the label type to anchor instead of name. You can look around to get more information on how to use this feature but that is how you do it.

Well, that's a way to do it, if you're publishing for HTML and you want to use the browser's back button, sure...

Since we're talking about a projector, basically you have to create a list of where the user is going and what item on the list they're on. So, you'd create a variable and an array, like:

var currentMovie=0;
    var history=new Array();

Then, every time the user loads a new .swf file, you could do something like:

history.push("movie2.swf");
    currentMovie++;

Then when they click the back button, you have to get the currentMovie and go back 1. Or at least that's basically the idea, it gets a little complicated say if they go back 2 and then choose a different path, but the above should get you started anyway.

That does sound like it could get tricky. They are thinking it should function like a website, but it's not. I may try to convince them of that. Thanks for the info.