A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: From one to another....

Question From one to another....

I am currently building a game, during this game you encounter a movie clip, that is actually a minigame ( its called pluginphonegame), after the player succesfully plugs in the phone line, theyneed to have a way to get to the next frame of the actual film (as apposed to next frame of the movie clip) i've placed a next>>> button on the last frame of the movie clip, what actionscript do i need to put on that button to get to frame 64 of the actually movie. ie#

on (release) {
    gotoAndPlay(frame 64, actual movie);
    }

or whatever it is... please help me out.

from what i understand , im assuming the phonegame is a child movieclip , attached or contained on the stage of the main moive clip. you can use accesors such as _root, or_parent , or if this is set up in a class stucture or extends movieclip you can use mx.util.Delegate.create(scope,functon) to escape and return the class level scope or reference.

so something like

this._parent.gotoAndPlay(20);, or _root.gotoAndPlay(20), but _root isnt always the best idea because if ever your initial swf gts loaded into another , then it will no longer be _root level.

thanks alot that really helped me out, i'll remember that for the future, the game building goes on

game building is the way to go , the best flash developers ive known have been very familiar with c, java , basically any strict oop. good luck to you !