A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash 8 on new I-MAC?

Flash 8 on new I-MAC?

Hi there-
    I know this question may have been asked a million times...

I am a PC user running Flash Professional 8. I have had it with Windows and the constant updates and security issues and am thinking about getting a new I Mac.

I have heard that Flash 8 does not run as well as on PC, but it is REALLY that noticeable? The new I-Mac seems very fast.

Thanks for your help.

-Rob

It's definitely usable, might sometimes be a bit frustrating if you're doing heavy production work, but it's generally ok I think.

Make sure you get as much ram as you can afford (try crucial.com instead of apple).
    Sam

If you can afford to, Flash CS3 will be Universal and will work at full speed on the new iMacs.

(Remember, if you've bought Flash, or another Adobe product, for Windows, it won't work on Mac - you have to buy a separate product.)

I'm running CS3 on a Mac Pro quad, and it flies. Even though you're switching platforms, you may be able to get the upgrade price for CS3 if you own v. 8 already. I'm not sure - haven't touched a PC in years. I upgraded to the whole CS3 design pro suite from MX04.

a word of caution about the upgrade though. If you use dreamweaver at all, I think you'll be disappointed in the updates. It feels more like an 8.5 update than a new version. The new UI across the board is great for all of the products, but for some reason they didn't implement it at all in DW.

I'd also wait on the imac purchase - they'll be releasing a new design soon. Not sure how soon, but there's a good bit of buzz.