A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Apollo... compatable with server side code?

Apollo... compatable with server side code?

Apollo looks like a great application, but I am trying to figure out why exactly it is so much more powerful that a web based flash player. Here is what I have come up with

1) Offline content (but big deal, most people have a dedicated connection!)

2) Access to system resources, ie file system

3) run as a desktop app (probably faster speed compared to a web based app)

QUESTIONS!

1) How can it manipulate file types beyond text

2) Can it utilize local server side scripts like PHP to handle file processing?

Apollo is a framework around Flash.
    All features in Flash are available, and more.

Obviously data connections are a central key to Flash, and remain a pivot in Apollo too, as it's purpose is to develop the next generation of WEB applications.
    Altruism does not exist. Sustainability must be made profitable.

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skierbit
    2) Can it utilize local server side scripts like PHP to handle file processing?
    EDIT: Local scripts?...not in the traditional sense. Embedded DB's are on the horizon but since Apollo needs no intermediary to write files ( a lot of the reason we hit server sides with flash) there are many ways a server side isn't needed. If you want to connect server side you can switch back and forth at will so this one really can't be answered fully until we have later builds. What exactly are you wanting to do client side that you now do specific to a server hosted backend?

As for what is possible...pretty much everything we can do with a commercial wrapper now....plus more. A good example is if I wrap a Flex or Flash movie with a commercial wrapper now...I can set it up to support drag and drop (say to drop and upload files...correlate assets by drop/move...etc etc) but they only allow me to drop into the application window....Apollo on the other hand will not only allow me to drop onto it (in later builds) but also drag and drop out of it (like how an Ebay watch list was dragged and dropped out of the Ebay Desktop demo and dropped on the desktop as an Excel file). This is just one example of an ability that offers limitless possibilities. Artemis just released their first alpha too so third parties are adding to the mix by extending upon Apollo even more (Direct SQl calls, embedded databases which could be synced with a parent DB if online status changes...etc etc) using drop in libraries with various abilities. A lot of us are really anticipating the next release of Apollo which will have a lot of the features missing from the first alpha release (drag and drop being just one of many) and it's an exciting time IMO.

Man I hate the edit timeout

What exactly are you wanting to do client side that you now do specific to a server hosted backend?
    Hit a local PHP file (for example)?...no...but the question is what did your original PHP file do...it may be on the desktop in conjunction with the command set of Apollo...it isn't needed.... unless the server side in question (or type you are referring to) interacted with or was an intermediary to another aspect specific to actual servers. In these cases you would still have to connect (you'd have to out of sheer need based on targeted service). Since Apollo can detect online status you will see a mix and match of both client side processing (especially writing) that was originally done server side used in conjunction with standard server side abilities (popping a coldfusion backend....web services...etc) done via a connection.

Chris,

Thanks for the great response posts. I am really starting to get excited about being able to dig into Apollo and build some kickin' apps. Anyway man, I guess that what I am looking for is an ability to manipulate and create images client side before upload. The solution that I have utilized in conjunction with flash in the past has been PHP.

I am expect that Apollo 2.0 (some time is in the far distant future) will be as big a jump as Flex 1.0 to Flex 2.0 was. And I am excited!

Yep...there are people already using as3corelib to do all kinds of things with Apollo. I'm pretty sure there is even a few downloadable examples using Apollo at some of the better known developer blogs. Google should expose some

http://code.google.com/p/as3corelib/

That is also a perfect example of what I mean...things like image manipulation and actual file handling (processing, renaming, detecting filesize, image type, moving from here to there...etc)....directory listing and file manipulation and more that normally require an actual server side on the web aren't needed with Apollo. To be honest a lot of it can be done now with some wrappers (like Zinc for instance) but in cases where (for instance) I want a list of files in directory A,B and C....Zinc gives me a command set to target them and read them but ultimately it is up to me to populate something by breaking down the result and creating arrays to populate (say a datagrid). With Apollo while I can still do that they also have taken it a step further with specific components that simply need you to point them to a target (sometimes by simply specifying a property ....a tree list using the FileSystem Tree component for instance simply needs a "directory" property set at the bare minimum) and they populate themselves so it's far more friendly to the new user or those unfamiliar with scripting. Add the ability to create custom components and you really have an environment where you can meet just about any demand you may have and can accommodate users of all skill levels. Cool stuff

One last tip and I swear I'm shuttin up

I would recommend to anyone interested in Apollo to not just track it through Adobe proper. You really have to heavily canvas that section of Adobe Labs website:

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Apollo

as well as get yourself a decent list of well known bloggers (who themselves provide links to other bloggers thereby expanding your list) who are really all over this platform and putting out some great examples with source code....a few like:

Mesh (Mike Chambers)

http://weblogs.macromedia.com/mesh/

Cantrell:

http://weblogs.macromedia.com/cantrell/

Dura (Danny)

http://www.danieldura.com/

as well as others....then you have the Flexers who are all over it too which makes sense because the alpha was heavy on the Flex side (whereas the next release will bring on more of the html/javascript/ajax crowd) ...people like:

Tretola

http://blog.everythingflex.com

Ent

http://weblogs.macromedia.com/pent/

Hoyt

http://weblogs.macromedia.com/khoyt/

and just a ton more.

Get yourself a list of places you frequent and I promise you will have no lack of information or resources. Good luck

Chris-

....how cow man. Thanks for the sweet resources man. I know have some actual direction to start diggin in!

Thank bro!