A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: sharing question..

sharing question..

ok I have about 2000+ pictures of my kids on my wifes name on the computer...is there anyway to make it so I can see those pictures on my name? I've googled and searched apple.com, and nothing has helped me.

I know I could just burn them to cd but that would be such a PITA when I load up new pictures... ??

If you go to the apple menu and go to system settings you should see an option that says sharing. Click on that then the window will change and you should see something like file sharing or something like that, it needs to have a check next to it. I'm not exactly sure of the name because unfortunately for me, my only option right now is to use a pc.

yeah that was actually one of the first things I did. bums me out that I'm so clueless to this.. it seems so simple. Such a different animal from XP
    Last edited by matthewpin; 04-24-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Did it work? If it's enabled then you go to the desktop and press command+n to open a new finder window. Then you on the top left side of the new window you go to network and it should show up in the network. This is if you are taking stuff off of a mac and taking it to a pc. It's a bit more complex then. Tell me what is the computer you're transferring from and what is the computer your transferring to? File sharing is for other macs to access your mac. If it's a pc you need windows file sharing.

did not work. anymore ideas? This is killing me..

Are you trying to transfer between a mac and a pc?

nope from 1 user to another on the same mac

i thought it would be similar to windows where I could see her pictures and she could see mine..not the case

Ah, I see, I thought you were using two different computers. That's a different matter. A simple solution would be to go to the desktop, press command+n, click on the hard drive (Not the one with your user name on it), select user, Click on the user name.
    This part is a bit annoying because you can't access it directly but in the user there's a folder called public, Place any files in there that you want to move between users.

You can change it so you can look at the files directly. In the users folder you select the user that you want access to. Press command+i. At the bottom of the window that popped up there's a permissions that you can open. You'll have to give your user read/write or at least read permissions.

I would suggest that you'd ask someone who would know what they're doing though if you're going to change permissions. Personally I don't fully understand it, just enough so that I could help you if I were there. I would have an easier time actually doing it on the computer. not all solutions come to mind if someone describes the problem to me.

worked!!!! you rock swak. Thanks for all the help

No problem. If you need any other help with a mac I can try helping you.