A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An answer to AS3 AMFPHP problems.

Hm. I thought it was weird that Danny didn't check with objects to see if they were actually associative arrays, but just went straight to assuming they were mysql results. My feeling is if they aren't numbered, you need to always treat them as objects in flash, and then only treat them as mysql results if they contain serverinfo...

Hi joshstrike,
    I downloaded your flash remoting framework last night, but I could not make sense of it

I am trying to get flash remoting working with flash CS 3 and actionscript 3 with a ColdFusion backend. I made a post at:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=778121

Really just trying to upgrade an actionscript 2 version to actionscript 3.

I was wondering if I could as for help using your framework with ColdFusion. Just the actionscript stuff. For instance how much of your code is depended on phpAMF? I just want a simple way to connect to the gateway, and to trace the output that your connected or there was an error. Could you offer any help or advice?

Thanks so much,
    Johnny

Hey John,
    I hate to let you down, but my code is very much geared toward the AMFPHP framework. It would be possible to rewrite for CF or orb or some other remoting package but amfphp is my area of skill. The main thing is that it needs to establish a connection with a gateway to which it sends all requests, and that gateway then includes the appropriate server-side function and parses the result back to Flash in AMF0/3. All the netconnection stuff is held in the PHPAccess class, and in theory, you might be able to repath it to anything that accepted and returned AMF data... I've never tried it though, and I really don't know. I've been hoping for a long time someone would revise my code for CF, so if you manage it, let me know...
    Josh

Hey Josh,
    Thank you so much for your reply

Yeah I was already of afraid of that, that your framework was really geared towards AMFPHP. though that however it would not hurt to ask you.

Yeah I know about "establish a connection with a gateway" as I did some remoting in AS 2(simple stuff) but the connection part, and returning something back from the cfc is always the hard part. Once you have the connection, it seemed to flow for me.

I am actually not sure which version of AMF I was using in AS 2, but I think that it was AMF 0.

I did make a little progress last night in connecting to the gateway last night. Not really complete, but closer. I think that I did actually connect, but I could not get the data returned.

I ask some help from my friend in Calfornia who uses Flex and said he would look at it for me too. Claims that it is easy, I would love to see it

I will for sure let you know once I get it working I will for sure start a blog or something to get the word out, as there are other people who I contacted you said there was nothing that they could find to get flash remoting working with CS 3.

You knows maybe Adobe will get there act together with CS 4 and include a remoting package for flash. I don't think that the whole world is using flex, otherwise why would there be people wanting a remoting package.

Thanks so much for your help,
    Johnny