A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just been on...

no cali.
    She got into western new england college pre-med so im going to be living in the middle of massachusetts now instead of on the border of new york.

ill find out tonight when she gets home evp
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Managed to dust of my camera for an explore around another disused insane asylum this weekend. Here's a few of my favourites, but there's plenty more on my site.

These are from a Fire Brigade testing area that we stumbled upon when our sat' nav' took us the wrong way.

Nikonist
    Big WOW! Amazing location and great shots matt!
    Love the third cause that door is open!!!

...and I also like 10,11,13 and 15! .)
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

wow, these are very cool.

especially love:
    toopen.jpg
    doublecorridor.jpg
    doordoor.jpg
    upsidedownclock.jpg
    redhatch.jpg

i'm suprised these places aren't full of squatters and/or alarmed..... or do you have 'contacts'?

Thanks frex & carly

15 is my favourite of the day. I think it was the first shot I took when we got into this fire testing area - but before we realised that that was what it was. It was still full of smoke from a recent fire so we didn't stop in there long

There were signs of some squatting in some of the living areas of the asylum, but they have security that do patrols so I doubt you could stay in there long.

Some sites have alarms but this place is so massively huge I reckon it would be a nightmare to bell up.

That's an awful lot of insane asylums. Seems like you guys do a fairly brisk trade in crazy over there.

Since these places are all closed down, does that mean you've cured all the insanity or did you just stop treating it?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

I don't know about this particular one, but the one most local to me (which I've yet to get into) just released all the crazy people into the population when they closed... I get the impression that it's the same for all of them. Certainly the ones I've been in seem to have emptied abruptly.

Sounds like a juicy story for a tv show reporter to sink their teeth into. Has a great wrong been redressed, with people who never should have been incarcerated being released back into the waiting arms of their families? Or was a flood of psychopaths let loose on society due to budget cuts, political greed, or healthcare reform gone bad? Or perhaps it's part of some villian's mad plan to cause havoc, mayhem and mass confusion?

Why, oh why did they let the crazy people out?!?
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Awesome photos per usual Matt.

burns.jpg is my fav.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Deinstitutionalization

In the early 1960s in U.S., amid public images of mental hospitals as sites for - and possibly like - horror movies, a deinstitutionalization movement caught hold in many states. At the time, mental hospitals were viewed as the least desirable solution to the problem of mental illness, both from a humane point of view and an economic one. California, for example, began to scale back its large mental health system in favour of community-based care, whereby smaller clinics would provide care. Although many facilities were emptied, outpatient services proved severely inadequate, a disaster according to some, which has only recently been addressed with the enactment of the California Mental Health Services Act. Popular books and movies such as One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance painted very unflattering portraits of mental hospitals as torture chambers run by sadistic staff, contributing to the deinstitutionalization movement.

The negative stereotypes (and an undercurrent belief that patients were "entitled to think what they wanted", rather than accept societal norms) continued to promulgate, however, and went even further in the backlash against social welfare policies in the 1980s, which lead to massive deinstitutionalisation and funding cuts. These changes led to the closing of many mental hospitals and the further reliance on local community care. Many former patients, instead of reintegrating successfully into society or receiving community treatment, simply wound up as homeless persons.

A similar movement took place in the UK, in which "Care in the Community" came to take the place of most mental hospitals.
    Thanks CI

More from a different Asylum. This place was seriously huge and seriously treacherous! You couldn't go five steps without nearly falling through the floor.

Nikonist
    This looks to me like the former Gestapo-Headquarters with it's crematory in the cellar...I have NO words!
    Stunning and I just decided not to go to Africa for the wildlife but to England and find this place! LOL!!
    Congratulations for this find...you are a brave man Matt! Proud of you!
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Thanks frex!

The weird thing I'm finding with these places is how nice they look (or would have looked should I say) from the outside. The architecture is superb. But the space and layout on the inside is so oppressive! If you weren't mad when you went in no doubt you'd be by the time you came out.