A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How much is my domain name worth?

How much is my domain name worth?

Just got an email asking if I'd be interested in selling my domain name, gamesgamesgames.co.uk.

Yes I would.

He asked what price I'd expect for it.

No idea what the name's worth, I got 13,000 unique visits last month so I think it's fairly well-known. Any suggestions as to a reasonable asking price?
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

check this site out, though i can't vouch for it or anything:
    http://www.urlbuyers.com/valuation.cfm

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

I'll give you tree fiddy!

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. Carl Sagan

Nice site, but it doesn't have .co.uk prices.
    You know you want to.

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar

I'd say about £400... I was looking into some domains recently

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    don't sell, lease the domain.. the domain is only worth its traffic and if your getting 13K unique they will pay.

point of reference: warservers.com and .co.uk sold about 6 mths ago for £1000
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stbite
    don't sell, lease the domain.. the domain is only worth its traffic and if your getting 13K unique they will pay.

point of reference: warservers.com and .co.uk sold about 6 mths ago for £1000
    Aye, but there is a difference between a typein domain and a website. Take away the site on the domain and you don't get 13k/mo. Sure there will be some residual traffic from old links that don't decay. But it's not buying a 13k/mo domain. On traffic a typein domain is roughly worth 12-18x it's monthly revenue.
    But as they're only buying the domain and not the site I guess you'd also have to quantify the value of the traffic as it drops off, might be 13k month 1, 6k month 2, 3k month 3 and set a price point for 25k-30k of traffic looking for free flash games and add that onto the brand value of the domain itself which is probably what they are actually after. Really it depends on the depth of their pockets and their actual situation.. maybe they have offline stores with the same name and you've got them over a barrel. I'd check the UK business registry site for businesses called "games games games" or very similar and see if any names match. It might also be an international brand looking to develop a UK specific presence so whois the .com, .net etc and maybe a few other busines registries as well. It can't hurt - only 30 minutes of time to make sure you're not letting something go for a song.

1stbite, what's the difference between selling and leasing?

Bhutos, the site currently makes no revenue (no adverts, no online store, nothing): it's just a showcase for the games I've made.
    You know you want to.

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    sell = you part with the domain for a one off fixed price
    lease = you get a regular income for renting the domain on a yearly basis but retain ownership

I agree with Bhutos with doing whois checks etc, knowing the client and their long term intentions for the site will give you a better understanding in which way to proceed with the domain.
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

Before selling your domain, you can appraised your domain at http://www.zippozap.com/ ..
    According to this value, you can fix the price of your domains & sell it..

Flashkit is only worth $.03
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna