A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] controlling keyframes within movie clips?

[F8] controlling keyframes within movie clips?

i have 3 buttons on my stage that i want when pressed to goto different keyframes in a movieclip i made, is this possible?

also is there a way i can place a button within a movie clip and then drag the movie clip to the stage and make the buttons work with the timeline from within the movie clip? hope that makes sense!

pls help! x

to answer your first question, you can either name the frames you want to go to, using the property inspector, or reference them by their frame numbers.

Either way you are going to use gotoAndPlay().

Code:
    myButton.onRelease = function(){
       myMovieClip.gotoAndPlay("frameName");
    }

for your second question, I think you are talking about scope. You can have pretty much any movieClip (or buttons) perform actions on other movieClips using the proper address. for instance if I have 2 movieclips and a button on the _root timeline, I can control either movieclip by setting up the function on the button:

Code:
        myMovieClip1.play();
    }

or

myMovieClip2.play();
    }

cooool! thank you so much for your help colbydev x

not working i get this error with both methods

"**Error** Scene=web, layer=print, frame=1:Line 1: Statement must appear within on handler
    myButton.onRelease = function(){"

can someone help me out, please x

woops! i was putting the code onto the button itself and not into the timeline lol think its working ok now x

Quote Originally Posted by colbydev
    for your second question, I think you are talking about scope. You can have pretty much any movieClip (or buttons) perform actions on other movieClips using the proper address. for instance if I have 2 movieclips and a button on the _root timeline, I can control either movieclip by setting up the function on the button:

Code:
        myMovieClip1.play();
    }

or

myMovieClip2.play();
    }
    the first 1 works great thank you, but the on the 2nd 1 i need to control the main timeline from buttons within a movieclip, ive tried with some other actionscript code...

on (press){
    _root.gotoAndStop(31);
    }
    but instead of playing the timeline in the external swf file all this is in on my 2nd scene , it goes straight to the root timeline in the 1st scene? lol i think that makes sense well to me anyway heh

so i need the button within the movieclip to play the timeline on the external swf on my 2nd scene! can anyone help with this?
    sorry i can't put this in more simple terms! thank you x

gotoAndPlay() and gotoAndStop() have an optional parameter for scene, i.e. gotoAndPlay(scene, frame);