A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [F8] Looking for a Flash 8 (actionscript) developer for a 2D RPG Game

[F8] Looking for a Flash 8 (actionscript) developer for a 2D RPG Game

I am a teenager and my stepdad and I were looking for someone interested in making a Flash Actionscript game that was a 2D RPG. The game will start out as one player but over the years grow into a MMORPG. If anyone is intereted just message me here. We are going to pay to get the game started and all development staff members will receive a percentage cut. As I said before for more information PM me. We already have a flash designer who can do the graphics.

Example of my Character:
    http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alareikdw3.swf

Example of a Weapon:
    http://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?i...onbladeju2.swf

For other info message me.
    Last edited by Alareik; 05-05-2007 at 02:18 PM.

Student
    please have a read here:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...79#post3705779

for some reason mmorpg threads tend to turn into heavy flamewars here,- not sure if a person with the needed skills will ever reply thus here. In that case better start learning the coding knowledge yourself and RPG/MMORPG is a hell high level for a beginner.

yeah

Yes, but you fail to see they are getting paid, we are paying for one. We also need a good website host for a game that we will pay for we just need the website host name.

Student
    hmm I wont have the time for coding or any other job but maybe I can comment you guys on the artwork (because that´s what you have so far) or give some feedback.

Obviously they are done in Flash wich isn´t bad as they look pretty good as such. It might be however a good choise in the end to work with Bitmap graphics not just for the active gameplay elements (interface, tiles, player sprites,...) but also on big screens such as splash screen just because you can add more atmosphere or style additional to bitmap graphics.
    will have more to say on the graphics (maybe with some usefull tips) after this post later...

Ok but we still do need people who can code actionscript for us. They will be payed on a percentage... It will be pretty high. I get 25% and my Stepdad gets 25% all the Lead Developers such as "Lead Graphics" or "Lead Programmer" get 5 - 15% but one lead of each department. Yah but so far both of those were made in a short ammount of time by a 13 year old worker that we have. Labor laws don't apply he lives in West Africa, his mom already "OKed" it.
    Last edited by Alareik; 05-06-2007 at 11:07 AM.

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    You cannot really talk about "paying" people in percentage : percentage of what ? percentage of income generated by the game ?

either you give them money upfront, for the work they do, in prevision of future income - or you clearly state that people won't get paid until the game is finished - in this case, that's an understatement : it seems natural that you redistribute income generated to all the people that worked hard on the game ...

I would also be curious to know what warrants your "stepdad" and yourself such big cuts in percentage ? I mean, you guys must be doing a tremendous work to totally over-shadow the lead coder and lead graphics cut, right ?

I'm sorry to say this, but none of the above sound very serious - we don't "fail" to see that people are getting "paid" ( hummm...), but we fail trusting you that this is indeed serious : that a bit of a difference ...

You fail

You fail to realize that we are putting in the money to start the game and assembling the team, that is a well earned 50%. That is what overshadows them. It is OUR game not "Your game". You do not need to post here unless you are applying to the job.

Student
    just to be safe,- ladies and gentlemen please calm down temperature already rised slightly.

@Alareik: if it was just about buisness matter you could have better posted it in the freelance section (but the majority of this section dont look there) so if you want to stick here some discission is unavoidable including criticism

The good point in this games section is that you get quality feedback and help for free
    Did you say a 13 year old artist,- wow that very young,- anymore people regarding art already on the board?

@ luxregina: some things are abvious like what you wrote, but as abvious to me is that you wont do it (because of whatever reason ) - but you made a valid point if it needs to appear more serious more facts are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alareik
    I am a teenager and my stepdad and I were looking for someone interested in making a Flash Actionscript game that was a 2D RPG. The game will start out as one player but over the years grow into a MMORPG. If anyone is intereted just message me here. We are going to pay to get the game started and all development staff members will receive a percentage cut. As I said before for more information PM me. We already have a flash designer who can do the graphics.

Example of my Character:
    http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?image=alareikdw3.swf

Example of a Weapon:
    http://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?i...onbladeju2.swf

For other info message me.
    Lol 3rd or 4th time I say PM me for more information if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Alareik
    You fail to realize that we are putting in the money to start the game and assembling the team, that is a well earned 50%. That is what overshadows them. It is OUR game not "Your game". You do not need to post here unless you are applying to the job.
    First, and foremost, I do not think I was contributing in "rising" the temperature - I do beleive that my post was respectfull, eventhough trying to pin-point the flaws in the OP reasoning - not to start a flamefest, but to help the OP clarifying what he is asking for.

Second, Alareik, I think the stance you are taking with your last message is going to take the whole thing downhill. As things don't seem to be clear to you, let me try to clarify some of my thoughts :

- I do not "fail" to realize anything : you, in the other hand fail to explain clearly what your project is about : are you paying for Artists/Coders upfront ? - just a yes/no answer will do. If you are paying them upfront, yes, you are different than most of the "need-team" posts in here ... If not, then you are in the same situation than 99.9 percent of people here...

-(...)to start the game and assembling the team : well, if you guys shell out some money to pay people upfront, I do understand the point, but if not, then, can you explain exactly what in there warrants the 50% reward ?

- You do not realize that costs involving server, domain name, and whatever else will likely come after most of the game is completed. Sure, you could do it before, but that wouldn't do much of a difference. At least, it shouldn't for people willing to work for the project for free until the project is finished...
    Plus, for hosting, and paying for domain names for 3 games, I can assert that the "technical" costs aren't that high ... not to warrant 50% over the budget of the game
    So, in short, I feel you are asking for people Help us do our game, with no money upfront, and people will be payed between 5 to 15% - depending on their involvement - while us two take 50% to cover the original idea, and technical costs ...if so, good luck with that ... if not, you might want to clarify few points...

- Among the people that replied to your thread, neither Render, nor I "failed" making games so far - the only personn I see "failing" here is you - failing to build a system that is strong and fair enough to reward equally people involved in this project - you might desagree with that, but that brings me to the last point :

- This is a public board : I will post wherever I see fitted, it is not up to you to decide whether or not I "need" to reply in a thread or not : I am in topic, I respect the rules of that forum, that is, let me remind you, not aimed at receiving commercial offers ( eventhough tough yours barely qualifies as one )

Nothing personal here - I thought that the idea was interesting, the art reminds me a little bit "dragon Quest" - i'm just being the devil's advocate to help you build a more interesting offer for people to get involved in

Student
    O_O!

anyway here another free, non PM post ^_^

maybe this quick muckup shows what I meant by using bitmaps afterwards intead of vector art:

shadows and lightning are much smoother- with a little more effort as I spent it could improve the quality alot.

as for the sprites (you proably will need them),- not all artists are suited for that,- maybe find someone that has more expierences with animations and or 3d tools perhaps- to easier create mutliple angles of the same character animation.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Smoove touch-up, render. A little work made it a lot better.

Knows where you live
    Damn render, you are amazing.
    And yeah, giving the lead coder 15% is a bit tacky. I mean seriously, the lead coder will probbably put more hours into it than every other position combined.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Well lead coder then could be revised... We get 50% for sure. We will change it though... Anyone know a good website host?

Yes we will pay up front but it just completely depends on your job. We need people to show us what we should pay people upfront. If we had people like you lux or render we would definitley pay you more of a percentage or upfront then a lesser skilled coder.

i don't understand, the games forum is about help, if your talking about hiring people go over to the freelance forum. Anyone who wants to be employed should be over there anyway.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Knows where you live
    I am not sure how close this borders the line of being a flame, but here is my post, and it is quite factual, although negative.

Just gonna let you know, but there are many, many better ways to make a quick buck than trying to create a game. And most of those many, many ways don't work. As a matter of fact, you better replace "quick" with "long", because you are going to be in development for a good part of a year minimum. During that time your artist and one of your coders will mysteriously disappear without a trace, someones computer will crash and loose a month of work, and someone realizes that they didn't follow proper coding practices and has to redo half a years work. Not to mention that guy who decided that his new feature idea was awesome and no one realized it so he just hides it away in the code somewhere to introduce a month worth of bug finding later.
    I think you are oversimplifying the process enormously. Especially when all the commitment you have is a PM from a 12 year old.

Anyone of the needed caliber isn't going to toss 50% away for some ideas and 30$ of capital. People of the needed caliber charge 500,000$ and work in an experienced team. What can you bring to the table that warrants 50%?

Frankly, your lack of web host doesn't bode very well. I personally have never trusted anyone who cannot find their own information, especially when you will get far more information by typing "web host reviews" into Google than double posting on a forum.

Anyways, just to add a little scale to what you want. There is only one multi player game of the scale you are looking for, and its development cost was over a million dollars. As a matter of fact, I am not even aware of a single player rpg flash game of competitive quality. I would be hard pressed to find a company that could do what you want.

Expecting to piece together a few pre-teens from newgrounds is just silly.
    I can tell you from experience that it is impossible to coordinate a project when no one has any dependence on you.

Yes, we have all played a mmorpg and said to ourselves "I wish I owned a game like that", but without several hundred thousand dollars, or several hundred thousand hours, it isn't going to happen.

I could list thousands of projects like this, if not tens of thousands, and I could not list a single one of those that has succeeded. And I would have given many of them a higher chance of success than this one.

We get 3 or 4 of these posts a month. What makes yours special?
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

as others have said maybie I can help shed a bit of light on this as well.

in order to create an RPG first your coder must know OOP, xml, php, mysql minimum.
    Right there your dealing with someone who has been in the biz at least 5 years, and I assure you earns 50K + a year if not twice that, not including there freelance work.

I personally am just now breakign into oop and xml usage real hard and work full time at fleischman hillard earning 53K a year and I am not sure ven I could completely code an rpg perfectly, I know php, xml, mysql and all that and have tried and still trying to make an rpg myself and have spent at least 300+ hours on it and only have the login character selection and UI done, which if I was to do for you I would charge a minimum of 50$ an hour, I dont care about percentages of nothing, and no way even when the game is finished am I going to turn over all source code based on a percentage, I would lease the code to you to use based on a percentage, but as lead developer I own that code, not you, and anyone that would not work this way I would not understand.

Maintance costs go into effect as well, you have to figure on paying your developer to maintain the code and update it, which again will require and excellent coder able to use xml and classes in order to easily update and change things.

I also do graphics, and websites still as freelance work, not really by choice its just my damn phone and contacts dont seem to ever want to disapear, and I am pretty much a yes person when someone mentions money.

If coding rpg's was so easy, and so many people could just find coders to make them, dont you think theyd be all over the place? No one with the skills to do one needs to do one for money, they do them as a hobby, just messing around, anyone able to make one makes more money in 1 month than you could pay them in a years time.

My point here is that even getting someone like me who is not the best around or even the best on this forum would cost you a minimum of 50$ an hour I spend on your code, if not I dont have the time to waist and I doubt anyone else would either.

Also you need to expect to be in development at least a year, at least 1 year just to get 1 level playable.

And last but NOT LEAST, you have no company name, no recognition, and no following, why would people who have access to world of warcraft, vanguard, everquest, guild wars, dungeons and dragons, warhammer, which are all multibillion dollar creations play some flash game someone theynever heard of made, using vector art created in flash?

Im not saying your art isnt good for a 13 year old, but its obviously 13 year old artwork, and very flash looking. and if this is the type of artwork you plan to use, instead of 3d models you better ad another year just to dev time in your art.

If you are serious about wanting to make an rpg and make some money learn C sharp, or at least learn action script and make it yourself.

Your not going to get anywhere with this thread here, if your serious, post it in the freelance forum, take out ads in the local paper, or on google. If you dont get the right team your going to spend all your money and have some crappy lagged out game no one will touch and be chaulked up as a learning experience, that more than likely even people on the forums will do nothing bu critize because its an RPG and its horribly made.

good luck to you
    Last edited by everfornever; 05-07-2007 at 02:32 AM.

Basically what I am trying to say....

Is that coding a game is the hard part.

Do you think some guy tht can code an entire rpg has any problem thinking of an idea for one? Or finding some kid who would love to do graphics for him for free?

I mean seriously what intitles you to 50% of any income ever? The fact that you assembled the team?

Thats just rediculous.

in my opinion, coders make games, they have been for years, making it pretty is just a by-product.

look here http://www.creativededication.com/forum

look in the showroom on the bottom of the page, theres two rpg in there, one called lost one called world of warcraft. if interested
    Last edited by everfornever; 05-07-2007 at 02:44 AM.