A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need some advice from all you AS experts...

Need some advice from all you AS experts...

So, after working with flash off and on for years, I think it's time to take it to the next level. I am very comfortable with flash, but I hate relying on browsing the internet or copying and pasting code back and forth between my projects. As well as this forum!

So, I came here to ask the question to you developers. What resources have you used, to help you get you where you are today? What books would you recommend? I have a subscription to Lynda, but I'm curious as to where I can begin my journey into this world of coding. I am familiar with it, but where is a good point to start and how to grow as an AS developer?
    Eric

Get Squared Away.
    What exactly do you mean by "taking it to the next level" ?
    Are you interested in creating more code based flash movies or more timeline based?
    It sounds like your next step may want to be getting into classes and building flash movies from .as files.

As for a good starting point...Colin Moock's Essential Actionscript 2.0 should do the trick...

Hope this helps...

One of my goals would to work for a company like Big Spaceship (www.bigspaceship.com). Interactive flash sites, movie sites, Flex 2, Apollo development.

Colin Moock's books seem to be the "standard" when it comes to actionscript. I just checked Amazon out for a deal on Colin's AS 3.0 book + AS3 Cookbook for $50 bucks. Definitely seems worth the investment.
    Eric

Get Squared Away.
    If your goal is to work at bigspaceship then you're definately looking at class based coding. A good understanding of the theory from EAS 2.0/3.0 will go a long way.

You might also want to look into using Eclipse as a development platform as those guys hardly code in the Flash IDE.

Good stuff Josiah! Thanks!
    Eric