A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Hosting....?? Options

Hosting....?? Options

I want to run some experiments with MySQL5, PHP5 and MyPhpAdmin. Anyone know of a super cheap plan that has all three packaged and ready to go?

Thank you,
    Odisey
    Much to learn.... Much to learn....

GoDaddy's economy Linux package. Everything you need for $40 a year. Check here for coupon codes. You can get some really good deals.

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    if its just experimental stuff you want to screw around with then look around for free hosting, most will have forced adverts but that shouldn't be a problem just for messing around with...

http://www.0php.com/free_PHP_hosting.php

If you want something that faces a more public view then I would go with GenF5 option.
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

Check here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/index.php

Check both reviews of hosts, and the special deals forum.

Godaddy hosting has some major bad reviews. Great domain management, very average hosting from all reports.

I use www.budgetreseller.com, and almost went with www.asmallorange.com, both found after some fairly extensive research at the top mentioned site (I hate changing hosts). No complaints with budgetreseller at all after 6 months. And they usually have some code for a discount available on that review site. It was BR20 or BR02 when I did it, and that got me 20% off - cost me US$31 for the year!
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis F5
    GoDaddy's economy Linux package. Everything you need for $40 a year. Check here for coupon codes. You can get some really good deals.

I talked to them this morning. You cannot access the data base or run querys through MySQL's interface or MyPhpAdmin. You can only upload scripts and run them on the page.

....?....

Odisey

Oranges

A small orange has all three - I emailed them to see versions....

THX for the replys...

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odisey
    I talked to them this morning. You cannot access the data base or run querys through MySQL's interface or MyPhpAdmin. You can only upload scripts and run them on the page.

....?....

Odisey
    I use phpMyAdmin on my GoDaddy economy accounts all the time...in fact it came on there. It's been super reliable and very good for playing around with.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Run locally it's free.

PhpMyAdmin

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsplace
    I use phpMyAdmin on my GoDaddy economy accounts all the time...in fact it came on there. It's been super reliable and very good for playing around with.

I telephoned them this morning and the sales guy said I could not use it, they did not have it.....????

I will call them back.....

Ehostpros.com $2.99/month. Go to my web site and click on their icon. I never had problems with them.

Don't know about version 5, though.
    Last edited by cancerinform; 05-09-2007 at 07:05 PM.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

GDaddy

Thank you,

I just got the g Daddy account. They actually have 5, 5, and PhpMyAdmin. The sales guy this morning did not know the specs...

Odisey

Retired *********
    Oh noo...

Watch out with your bandwidth, I even recommend you take screenshots of your stats to protect yourself. I just got randomly charged 246.77 to my American express from these goons last month for supposedly going over my bandwidth 120gb. I spent 2 hours on the phone with GoDaddy billing; the supervisor I spoke with only tried to up sell to other GoDaddy products and return a partial credit.

To make a long story short, check out the site below, it explains why you should cancel your GoDaddy hosting account. These folks are frauds!

http://www.skyorb.com/godaddy

After this nightmare, I switched to www.hostmysite.com. I have been extremely happy with them and their customer support is unparallel!

Ouch

I read that and my neighbor yelled OUCH! and he's next door!

I am looking at this link. I am only testing code - no public site.

Did you get your money back? Citicard, the card I travel with, <biGSMIle> has a feature where they return ALL your money in a dispute. Then Godaddy would have prove you actually owe it to them. And you can still dispute - pictures of screenshots as your example.

Odisey

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    I've used GoDaddy for 3 years now problem free. A lot of our clients use GoDaddy as well. We have about 90 websites hosted there at present and have never had any of the problems that you have spoken of. On the other hand, I have had many of those problems with other hosts. One site that I do...that isn't on GoDaddy...got hacked because of an exploit in someone else's PHP script on the server. They didn't even realize that they had been hacked until I called them the next morning. They took my site offline for about a week over it and refused to issue a credit. Other hosts i've worked with have had lots of similar problems. Ultimately there is no perfect host unless you're willing to pay the big bucks. If you just need something to test/play around on then i'd recommend what someone else already has and set up a local server on your machine. If it needs to be accessible externally then choos wisely when picking your host.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

see sig.. hostultra cheap reliable and will do what you need

Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]