A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash CS3......lots of bugs, and no good fixes

Hybrid View

Flash CS3......lots of bugs, and no good fixes

Well I have been using Flash CS3 for only a few days and already finding bugs and things that should have been addressed.

first some bugs.

when minimizing the side panel (ie, library side and all that) if you open the library panel via the quilc access method they now give, it bugs out alot, not allowign you to use the library, as well as makes the library disapear if yo mouse over the top right side, the panel stays but it goes empty.

This is very bothersome since we can no longer just click the arrow to close it, it now just minimizes a bit and still takes up screen room, then when trying to use the quick access panels they all bug out.

This upsets me because I would much rather still be able to close that side completely, but instead it semy closes and still takes up scrren room, and then since the quick pnales are bugged you have to maximize it to use the panels anyway defeating the whole purpose of why they must have gotten rid of the arrow.

Very unhappy not being able to completely close the side panels anymore. Totally retarded system they made.

Second bug which is not as big of a deal, but The actions panel minimize and maximize in conjuction with the properties panel bugs ou as well, many time if I have my properties panel minimzed and my actions panel, if I just click the actions panel to bring it up, it maximizes the properties panel instead then I have to click the actions panel again, and then minimize the properties panel again, very annoying.

another thing is the mouse overs on the panels, if you mouse over the actions panel "x" then go to the stage or library panel the "x" stays red, not a big deal but annoying just the same.

Now to some things I can not believe they didnt fix.

First I like being able to undock my actions panel and move my script to another monitor, problem is I dont code in flash anymore as I am sure no one else does, and Im sure teven adobe assumes we dont since they way as3 works and with the easy access classes and stuff.

So here is my beif with this, you can not undock .as files and move them out of the flash UI, so if your working on a project and say have a .fla open, and then opne a script you still have to toggle back and forth between the too, if you minimize them both yo cant drag the panels out from flash, they go behind its borders.

So why make a nice docking panel for the actions panel and allofw us to move it anywhere, but yet keep our .as panels trapped in the .fla.

I now am forced to use flash 8 on my second monitor for my scripts, and cs3 on the other ofr my .fla.

So far not hapy with CS3, these are onyl a few bugs and problems, but there are more, just cant recall each right now, but the whole app is filled with bugs.

EDIT - Now Im syaing these ar bugs not broken they do work as intended 65% of the time, but when they bug its annoying

and just one more thing, when creating new panels such as the library you can put them anywhere near any of the side panels or they go behind them, whats up with that.
    Last edited by everfornever; 05-12-2007 at 07:25 PM.

half as fun, double the price senocular's Avatar

even when you test your movie the swf pops up behind the side bars, my movie is covered up by my library panel and drawing tool panel properties panle and actions panel even when there all docekd in the default layout, anyone else seeing this crap wtf.

How am I supposed to now ever make an swf larger then my working area inside flash UI, I have to publish and test via my folder?

Goodbye project panel I guess.

I dont know now its not doing it.........and then again it did it again
    Last edited by everfornever; 05-12-2007 at 07:57 PM.

Student
    my biggest critique is the GUI framerate with some panels like the scriptEditor wich is still not okay. Working on multiple Monitors makes it even slower when undocking them and resizing or moving them to other screens.

yes, my biggest beaf is that you can not undock .as files, instead you still gbet the tab forcing me to use external editors if I want to be able to look at my app as I code it.

I say its a beef because cs3 is supposed to be all about oop, and yet they make the actions panel undockable within a .fla but not the .as itself. I also really hate they new library panel system, I liked the arrow being able to just hide the panel, now when you minize that panel group its still there and I have this long unusable space, becuse of some small boxes it leaves at the top.

And yes the framerate is horrible, especially when moving things, they did some weird alpha thing with the panels when you drag them, and all it does is lag.

yep, the panels are very laggy, however i do like the ability to export while looking at classes, something not possible before

press ctrl + Enter when viewing a class to export. Before you had to switch back to design view to test.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Anyone else had problems with masks ( Not set through code, using old school mask layers ) ?

Squize.
    Last edited by Squize; 05-14-2007 at 05:53 AM. Reason: A zillion typos. Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    Anyone else had problems with masks ( Not set through code, using old school mask layers ) ?

Squize.
    Maybe.. ? Dynamic textfields can't be masked and tweened, but then they couldn't before either could they..? Found no workaround around that one.

CS3 is ridiculously slow. It takes several minutes (!) to load up for me (don't know the specs of my computer at work, but it's not that bad) and as it crashes a lot while handling some imported photoshop layers I spend a lot of time just waiting.
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

Still not had time to see what's up with masks ( Just using a vector object over a mc ), so I've had to revert back to F8.

I noticed earlier the old importing a big bitmap to the stage "issue" ( It may be intentional but I'd be surprised if it is ), where it imports it but at a much smaller size ( Even though in the transform menu it says it's 100% ).

So far [ Flash ] CS3 has felt a bit rushed and in need of a .1 release. Feels like adobe was committed to the whole CS3 package release date and somethings have slipped.

Squize.

Student
    Code:
    <xml>
    <firstChild do="some kind of string"/>
    </xml>
    ... further in actionscript as1/2 style:
    Code:
    var doVar = myXml.firstChild.firstChild.attributes.do;
    wont work anymore in CS3 because the compiler tells me that it expects some do- code fragment at that spot. Not sure if will be the same problem with the AS3 syntax (@do ) but that sure hell pissed me off

I am noticing alot of compiler errors that are a bit odd.

when using as 2 (old files) in cs3 the syntax checking comes back with no errors, but when trying to autoformat 9/10 times it wont and says some error near some line, but yet wont say what the error is and like I said the syntax checks as ok, and when exporting I get no compiler errors......... weird.

good thing I rarely use autoformat anymore. but would be nice just the same.

so I am still curious why they made the actions panel undockable and draggable to a different screen , and noth .as files themselves, I mean since we area all moving towards OOP, whats the point in an undockable actions panel anyway, all i use it for is stop() or #include, now an undockable .as file would be nice.

I think overall the UI is better looking, I definetly like the lighter colored default backdrop color, but I dislike the tool bar and panel systems, I think its nice to allow us to shrink the panel groups into quick access buttons, but honestly i think using the arrow to close it completely and then reopening it when I want to use it was better. Im kinda OCD about cleanlyness and sorting, and it erks me to have something on my screen taking up so much space when I am not using it.

I definetly like the more detailed compiler errors, even for as2, this is defenitly going to get me coding more properly, but at times I think it's a bit harsh on somethings.

Another thing about as3 I dont like is that they removed certain shortcuts, I like they added new things, but to do loadMovie bow takes me about 6 lines of code were as before it was just one, also hate that we no longer have getNextHighestDepth().

Quote Originally Posted by everfornever
    so I am still curious why they made the actions panel undockable and draggable to a different screen , and noth .as files themselves, I mean since we area all moving towards OOP, whats the point in an undockable actions panel anyway, all i use it for is stop() or #include, now an undockable .as file would be nice.
    Backwards compatibility with as1 and as2. But I agree, not needed for OOP as3 and they should allow for undockable external as files, with tabs. Hopefully next version .

By the way, you tried flashdevelop, better IDE than flash 8's. Does AS3 syntax highlighting and such. (Unless you are on the MAC, not sure what to use on MAC, I've always used the shoddy inbuilt one on that system)

Quote Originally Posted by everfornever
    Another thing about as3 I dont like is that they removed certain shortcuts, I like they added new things, but to do loadMovie bow takes me about 6 lines of code were as before it was just one, also hate that we no longer have getNextHighestDepth().
    Then theres some things that use to take fifty lines, and now take a few. The new XML object rocks my socks off.

Just wanted to pop in and say i'm really enjoying the new release. I found f8 and mx 2007 much more annoying.

um, getNextHighestDepth() is still in AS2, not AS3. And loadMovie should be the same, still AS2 not AS3.

Man thats a bummer to hear about the mask's. I use them here and there at work. And we just purchased it.

I'm hoping it's just me being lame rather than a bug

Squize.

I doubt it...............

there's no mask bug, i can do them fine

mind posting an fla dad

syntax for setMask in AS3 is: mc2.mask = mc1
    Last edited by mr_malee; 05-16-2007 at 08:39 PM.

I've had problems with imported artwork getting deleted from the library.

I'll be in the middle of working and try to save, but it won't Flash won't let me...says it can't find the file!!!

So I just save as to a new location.

It saves the file, but gives me an error that files couldn't be imported and a whole bunch of bitmaps images dissappera from my library.

This has happened more than once, and it wasn't files I was trying to import, it was files I already ha imported, sometimes as long as a few weeks ago, having worked on the file multiple times since then!

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Render, try this:

var doVar = myXml.firstChild.firstChild.attributes["do"];

Squize, I've not noticed any problems with masks that weren't there before. There have always been quite as few ways to break them. Using lines around vectors, and having any kind of sealed aperture (doughnut shape) are two possible ways.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by lesli_felix
    Render, try this:var doVar = myXml.firstChild.firstChild.attributes["do"];
    thank you,- I haven´t thought about