A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Community Animation Project

Hey CNO, I think I am interested. I have both F5 and F4 installed...and I am getting a Wacom Graphire for Christmas and want to see if it will help with animation...so count me in if there is still room.

win 98 , flash 4 and 5, PIII, i don't have netmeeting, just icq (but anyways, i can write english, but can't speak lol)

CNO : f4 is good to allow more ppl to work on the project, but i think final project should be f5 for one reason : F4 player can't go faster than 18 frame per second, while flash5 player can go 70 or more. 24 fps is perfect for animation. it is just a suggestion =)

i won't be there until 3 or 4 days !

c you soon and merry christmas !!!

Originally posted by Akane
    CNO : f4 is good to allow more ppl to work on the project, but i think final project should be f5 for one reason : F4 player can't go faster than 18 frame per second, while flash5 player can go 70 or more. 24 fps is perfect for animation. it is just a suggestion =)
    GGW - definately room for whomever wants to get involved. I was actually gonna post that in your thread about what to do with your expected Graphire.

Akane - If I'm not mistaken, the issue is with the player, not the program itself. We can still design the animation in Flash 4 with a framerate of 24 fps and assuming end-users have the 5 player, it should play fine. I chose to design in Flash 4 because a 4 movie will open in 5, but not vice versa - and even if we design in 5 with a framerate of 24 FPS, users with the 4 player will only see it at 18.

Now, if I haven't thouroughly confused you...
    Of course, if it is an issue, we can export the final movie from Flash 5, and should probably recommend viewers have the latest version of the plugin installed.

that's exactly what i meant =) it's allrigth
    we don't need lot of actionscript so let's use f4 to work, and export final movie with flash5 !

Moderator - Anime Curator Naldoman's Avatar
    I would like to see something relevant to Flash Kit and maybe educational, too. Humor is always good.
    Perhaps:5 Flash Kit Developer Success Stories
    or The Best Ways to Utilize Flash Kit Resources, with a humorous twist to each example.
    or Flash Kit Addition and Treatments, an interactive guide to modern-day techie affliction.

I suggest we keep most animations to object transitions and not action cartoon/3D animations, to keep the scope simple and manageable. Most anyone can accomplish tweens and fades without worrying about 20 different techniques.

I can help out with drawing/ sketching characters and possibly writing or editing stories...i have flash 4 but it's not cooperating with me lately...open flash 4 --> computer crash...<siGh>...it's like my whole life is taken away now...but it can't take my paper and pen away...is this project going to be silent, or will it have voices?

by da way...chocolate w/ creame on da inside donuts plz i love donuts sugar makes more brain activity...

Beyond the Sea

sounds good

Let's get this thing going!

Naldoman, we could have people post their success stories here to look them over for story ideas. I don't know about having it be THAT educational.

Maybe if we had Mark Fennel: International Man of Mystery as the protagonist, he could guide us through the land of Flashkit as he battles flamers and bad servers and shows us how Flashkit can benefit us and how we can best utilize Flashkit.

Count me in for story ideas and background illustrations. I'd love to help anywhere I can.

Rich

Re: sounds good

Originally posted by Kraken
    Maybe if we had Mark Fennel: International Man of Mystery as the protagonist, he could guide us through the land of Flashkit as he battles flamers and bad servers and shows us how Flashkit can benefit us and how we can best utilize Flashkit.
    * I like that framework, it has a wide range of elements that could be dropped in for information or humor content. We could have an anime-Mark jumping around on the Flask Kit homepage, and being transported to different sections when he steps on a link. [Cool character design, Cool transition EFX]

* We could add a different guest user-character to meet him in each section to brave the dangers, quiz him on the usefulness of the feature, or be a nuisance to be dodged and cancelled by Mark's special powers.

* Each section has opportunity for an interactive element such as drag and drop, text input, mouse tracker (a buzzing flamer?), scrolling text, etc.

What say? Holla back at me!!

I'm not sure I see that working - it sounds like a cool idea, but would either be a little too in-jokey, or a little too much like an ordinary animated tutorial.

I was thinking something more akin to a super-hero team spoof, almost akin to the Power Rangers or "Space Police Policemen!" (One of the better anime-parodies-in-an-anime out there already. )

Post Good Ideas...

Wooohoo. First post. My days as a lurker are over.

Anyway.. Its a really great idea, CNO. All these creative people laying about, all doing seperate things. I think I could tie this into 'working for the greater good' or something, but frankly.. its been a long day.

Thoughts on structure:
    A short teaser is a good idea to see who works, who doesnt, and finding new skills in people. I'm sure there are people dying to learn, but havent done animating.. or a 'proper' project. [Whatever that is..] Who knows where new skills may be found?

You might consider structuring the project in 'Episodes' as well. A shorter time span is better for moral [will this project have no end..?], and easier to get more people joining and stuff. Also, an episode can be headed by diff people [directed by..], diff styles, etc. Who knows.. maybe this will get so big, you'll be able to have more than one project on the go.
    Also, with episodes, its easier for the plots to go off into tangents.

Thoughts on plot:
    One word came to mind while reading the posts.. Flash Kit World. The thought of it makes me feel all creative. :P

Whoa. Wrote far too much.
    Laura
    -x-

Flashkit's offical necromaster EXILED ARCHANGEL's Avatar
    kick ass idea! i could do charactor persona, plot and design. what do you think?

Who is the Evil Boss in Flash Kit World?

Regardless of the plot or theme, I think it would be nice to have some interactive elements.

The DREAD LIST---Things we might want to avoid. What are they? Often members post their annoyance at the copycat trends in Flash design, or some over-used-to-death gimmick like pop-up windows, totally black screens, out-of-focus edgy backgrounds, jumpy nav bars and such. Should we avoid all of these things and go for something plain, or try for something original? How about a variation on the Flash Kit colors and design elements?

The floor is open for discussion!

what are you talking about Naldoman?

how bout this for a story...Mark fennel and his gang acquire magical powers. Each is able to control different things. They fight to protect the honor of flashkit.com. Each will overcome their fears. The story starts when these people meet and form the board. They must overcome hard obstacles to win the respect of the high and holy cow, DAN in order to maintain peace on flashkit.com...(and my head jus starts to wander everywhere again...) Did any of that make sense?

i like it

I wish I could participate, but I don't feel I have the talent. Besides, a lot of people embark on projects with big dreams and inspiration, but then things lose steam fairly quickly.

I think that it would be much more interesting to see little mini-contests, among the people here. Pick a topic to animate, and then everyone can post their attempts on it. And then we can keep doing it over and over. One every week, if you like.

Topic suggestions:
    1) best animation of a girl smiling
    2) best animation of nightfall
    3) best animation of a housepet

We could keep the topics simple and easy, so that they won't be too hard to do, so that more people can participate. Along with that, people can post their C&C (comments & critique) of the work that gets posted.

It's one thing to animate something that you came up with on your own inspiration, but it's another to animate something that someone else tells you to, and within a reasonably short period of time, like a week. But that's something that you have to do all the time, professionally.

Again, just simple topics, that won't intimidate people or cause them too much strain. And those who have the inclination or gift, can go overboard all they like.

Just a thought.

Eat Rice!
    To keep this a bit more simple, i think that the story should be told by words, not voice overs. Any thoughts on that?

If this story is going to be "about" flashkit, it doesn't sound like something that you'll be proud to trow 3-4 months of your life into, and have in your portfolio. Are we planning to do something quality or campy? no offense you guys but I can round up the 60 year old men around my office to do something campy about...

Again, this goes back to my fear about things becoming too in-jokey - we either have to swing entirely in one direction or another.

I still am in favor of a group project, as in the same vein as Timotheos' thread, I can do a whole bunch of short animations on my own (I have a new footer just about every month), but even all through college, there are few chances to work on a team collaborating toward a common goal, and it is always an interesting and rewarding experience, I feel. If we have enough people dedicated to the project (I'd be committing a whole lot of my otherwse "free" time to coordinate and work on content), then I have no fear that it wouldn't get done.

I would agree that we should stay away from voice - it'll be tough to pull together enough quality voice actors to make it worthwhile, and will save lots of time on audio tweaking. I'd love to see a story which can be told entirely visually, but we'll find a happy middle ground, I'm sure. Perhaps this is something to keep in mind when developing story ideas.

As for other concerns - Sanman, surely you could participate. If you have 3d experience, you can build reference models (and perhaps some rotoscopable character motions). If you can tell a story, contribute to the plot development and storyboards - there's lots of work to do, and plenty to go around.

Not to abandon your idea, however. I am looking into contests once the Anime section of Flashkit gets established, and that may be one way to go.

I'm on the same wave length as Timotheos.