A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] Newbie needs help with Flash decompiler/changing text

[F8] Newbie needs help with Flash decompiler/changing text

Hi all,
    I recently took over a site for a friend of a friend and they need a simple address change made. The thing is, the entire site is done in Flash. Two problems (so far!):

1) I haven't worked on any web site using Flash in years, although I do have Flash 8 as part of the Dreamweaver 8 Suite.

2)I downloaded the site from the server and of course there are no .fla files.

I downloaded a Flash decompiler and was able to convert the index.swf so I can see the text file that has the address that needs changing, amongst a whole lot of other text files . Is there an easy way to get in and just fix one text file without messing up all of the other files? I've read through the help files of the decompiler and am just getting more confused. Or maybe I've just been staring at it all too long!

The web site is: http://www.osvaldofreitas.com/

This seems like it should be so simple but it's making me feel like a dope!!! I appreciate any and all help you can give me. Thanks!
    zic

you can't change the actionscript within a swf file. you need the FLA to make the changes and then publish a new .swf.

The owner of the site should have received copies of the FLA's from the designer.. talk to them to get your hands on the source files...
    Please DO NOT PM me simply for individual help. Post in the public forums...that's what they are for, and they allow others to benefit as well. - Thx
    OS X 10.3.9 || Flash MX04 Pro
    | del.icio.us || furl || Helpful Source Files || Free Pixel Fonts |

Quote Originally Posted by madzigian
    you can't change the actionscript within a swf file. you need the FLA to make the changes and then publish a new .swf.

The owner of the site should have received copies of the FLA's from the designer.. talk to them to get your hands on the source files...

Hi, I really appreciate you taking the time to write! Unfortunately, the owner of the site didn't receive anything but the site itself. Apparently it was a college kid that set up it up and then graduated and left town. I agreed to take over the site not realizing it was in all Flash - definitely not my area of expertise! I was able to get a Flash Decompiler and convert the index.swf to the fla's. Even found the text file with the address that needs to be changed but I am paranoid about screwing up all of the other files!

At this point, I would be willing and most happy to outsource this to someone. I just don't have the time to put into this as I have several other deadlines with other clients. Is it out of line in this forum to ask for help (paid of course)?

Again, I appreciate any and all help!!!
    Laura

There is a FREELANCE forum.... just for that purpose..

But before you do that.. have you tried to test the site to see if it works properly? If it all works fine.. simply change the address in the txt file and publish/test it again... if it doesn't work, then you can try posting back (maybe attach the files causing the problems..save them down to MX04 though) or post in the freelance forum.
    Please DO NOT PM me simply for individual help. Post in the public forums...that's what they are for, and they allow others to benefit as well. - Thx
    OS X 10.3.9 || Flash MX04 Pro
    | del.icio.us || furl || Helpful Source Files || Free Pixel Fonts |