A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "CRASH" Photography course

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar

"CRASH" Photography course

Hey there Peeps

I need your help with something, I'm instructing a friend on Photography, in a sort of a crash course, nothing too technical, but still something to cover the basics enough for her to use a Pro-sumer camera with enough confidence for a couple of years before she makes the move to a D-SLR

any pointers on what points to cover, assignments, and Do's and Don'ts ??

we're using mainly my Canon G5 and I'm lending it to her a couple of times for the assignments

so, Ideas for a 5 sessions course??

Nikonist
    For her: Use Auto a lot in the beginning and then slowly start using more aperture priority. Teach her the golden cut.
    For Igno: A couple of years?? ...maybe give her a different teacher
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Thanks Frex, well she'snot that much of a newbie, she heard about Aperture, and today we went Aperture hunting wih different settings.

The couple of years are for depreciation sake, a Camera is still a heavy financial investment, and to get the feel for every setting, to be able to "know" what it will be like on a D-SLR I guess a couple o years is enough of an experience

v3.0
    hi!

first post in the photo forum (and 2nd overall!) but hopefully more to come...

here's my 2 cents if you have 5 lessons...

#1 begin with shooting portraits to learn proper exposure
    #2 aperture/depth of field exercises...stuff along the lines of railroad tracks, trails, etc.
    #3 shutter speed exercises - capturing cars in motion, a friend in mid-jump, etc.
    #4 flash crash-course - how to expose properly indoors and use of fill flash
    #5 composition/learning to think in terms of shooting full-frame

My 5th is a bit shakey but i'm not sure what else to put right now.....but that should give someone a pretty good intro to photography concepts.

Good luck and tell us how it goes!

Great ideas Sonic, and welcome to the Yellow

glad to see some new faces who aren't posting spam around here

stick around and get bitten by the shutter bug

thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it went

For me, the hardest thing to learn was composition. Don't cut the legs off, or the heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask The Geezer
    For me, the hardest thing to learn was composition. Don't cut the legs off, or the heads.

LOL taught her that, the first lesson at all, but she's more into Monuments, Saving the Cultural inheritance...etc, so no cropped doors, arches, and buildings for her

I got her an Assignment with White balances -an Egg in several light conditions-

Depth of Field, to be achieved through both, ISO settings, and Aperture size

Shutter speed examples, in different light conditions, day and night, strong lights, low visibility...etc

What else peeps?

Nikonist
    Let her sign up at FK and tell her to post some shots!

Honestly I think you taught her the basics to start with...let her practise a while and then start the next level
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

I would stress using a tripod. Sounds lame when shooting still life, but there is something subtly different about a shot taken at very high f/stops, low ISO and on a tripod to reduce vibration. Something impossible while handheld.

Also, get familiar with flash. Flash photograpy is the unsung technique that can change the whole perspective of an image.

She's aware of Flashkit, and of some of your weirdos

I might get her to open a DA account and share some stuff over here

also I taught her about a tripod, she's a petite girl, and a Tripod is a heavy companion for her nowadays, she's still adjusting to using a Big Boy's Camera instead of her water squirter

Problem with flash is it wont be allowed near most of these monuments, so we use natural light, slow exposures with big apertures, I diverted her mind from a DSLR and now are looking at the Canon range of Semi Pro ones, the IS S3 is a winner so far

"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I Wuv You <3