Thread: wich is the FLV files porpuse?

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar

wich is the FLV files porpuse?

Sorry about these stupid questions

Since I could manage video on flash I convert all my videos to flash

Almost 8 months ago I made this

http://www.ryp.com.mx/tv.html

Is the way I use video, but...

Whats a .flv file? wich is the porpuse of thise files?

How can I create them in flash?, how can I play them?

I just want to use new tools for my shorts and portfolio but I still dont get about .flv files

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

Depending on how you created the link above, you're probably already using .flv files, it's just a .flv file that's embedded inside your .swf file.

A .flv file is a video file that can be played in Flash, just like a .mov file is a video file that can be played in Quicktime. To create a .flv file, you need a video file (.avi, .mpg, .mov, .wmv, etc), which you then convert by importing it into Flash, or by using the FLV Encoder that comes with Flash Professional. You play them by using a componenent or by using a video object. They can be embedded inside your .swf file, or files you load externally. In most cases you'll want to load them externally.

Assuming you have Flash MX 2004 or later, Flash Help covers all the details on creating and playing .flv files.

Thanks rdoyle720

FLV encoder?

I use flash 8 i just take the .mov videos and embed to flash, I export movie and is a simple .swf that play video no a .flv so, whats the difference?

Why should I use .flv? is it better or just diferent?

Embedding a video into Flash does create a .flv, it just puts the .flv into the file. Same as importing a jpeg into a Flash file. Your end product may be a .swf, but it still has a jpeg in it.

There are a couple of advantages to using .flv over .swf. First, embedding .flv files into .swf can cause issues where the audio and video get out of sync (Flash tells you this when you embed it). Second, .flv files can be a different framerate than your main .swf, where .swf files always run at the speed of the file they're played in.

Generally speaking, the safest option is to use external .flv files.

So you sugest to create .flv files and just call them to my movie?

I cant ind any flv converter in my flash 8 i just clic on import and that gives me the options of the video, where can I find that

Thanks for your help rdoyle720

Assuming you're using Flash 8 Professional, when you import video it will bring up a screen that says "Deployment". On there are several options, including "Progressive download from a web server.", which creates an external .flv for you.

wow thanks!

Hi,

I've embedded a 5 minute movie into my cd-rom. But I'm finding it difficult to control the movie with stop and play, etc. Can I do this with an embedded video or can I some how put it on my cd-rom and call it to my movie projector??

Thanks in advance

difficult? why?

What are you using to control the movie?

you can do almost everything with video

Hi Scheletro,

I think it's cause I'm using an embedded flv; in 'flash help' it said you can't use flv playback component with an embedded file. I also tried using :
    Code:
    on(release){
    slideshow.play();
    }
    But this dosn't work either (although, I've used this method before in Flash mx, now I'm using flash 8 pro) Has the type of code changed or is different for an flv file??

Can I somehow put the flv on my cd-rom and call the movie to my movie projector??
    Is there a way of using the 'progressive download' method from a cd-rom??

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Nutbolt; 06-10-2007 at 09:16 PM.

Hi again

after much messing around with it I've managed to get my flv to work (controls and all) in a seperate flash file using the progressive download option, but it still won't work in my original movie.

It just shows up with a white screen, no controls or anything. the set up's tthe same as the document thet does work: flv in a movieclip on the _root.

Does anyone have any ideas??
    Last edited by Nutbolt; 06-11-2007 at 09:27 AM.

strange, that should work

I always put video on a mivie clip and I use simple controlers as Tell target stop and that always work

Could you explain exactly what you do when you import it, please? maybe I'm missing something.

I just import movie, I embed the movie in my flash, inside a MC and I use simple buttons as play and stop movie, Im not using FLV files, but I know when you import a video inside flash it is a FLV file, I think you shold call your flv to a MC to control it

Are you using extrenal Flv files or you are importa an mpeg or a .mov to your flash?

I'm using an external .mov file with an animation codec from AE6.5. I don't know why i couldn't put it on my original file but I copy & pasted it into the new file with the working flv. this seems to work so far, thogh it sonds like a bit of a simple way of doing it.

Maybe it didn't work on the original file because it's been worked in mx then cs3 and then 8 pro??!!

Is it easy to assign actionscript to the component? I need to stop and start the sound and the video with one button? is that possible?

Thanks for the info.

As far as I know its possible

Is strange that im the only one answering on this tread, I know here are bunch of experts in just video issues

I cant ind any flv converter in my flash 8 i just clic on import and that gives me the options of the video, where can I find that
    I use VisiFly, http://www.visifly.com/VisiFly/ to convert my videos to flv & swf formats.
    They have a very good converter.

10x !!!

search flv software in google.
    Last edited by jjack; 06-14-2007 at 10:41 PM.

If you're using flash 8 then you've got a FLV video encoder, you just might not have downloaded it. It comes as a separate program but it should be on your machine. it is called macromedia flash 8 video encoder. And the reason you use FLV is becuase:

1. flash likes it better
    2. the on2 VP6 encoder is beautiful
    3. Sorensen spark is very compatible with everything
    4. Anyone that can view your swf can view your video, no codec's required
    (you don't have to have quicktime or movie player, or the dreaded real player)
    5. You can use the flash streaming service FLVV that is wonderful

These are all positives for using FLV. When you compress your videos using the encoder, use the highest resolution/filesize you've got. They compress to the same size as a crappy video will. The less movement the better. Flv is just practical.