A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Al Gore 2008 ... damn, just do it!

Al Gore 2008 ... damn, just do it!

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/5/29/233230/066

I then said to him:

"Please, at least think about running for President."

Gore smiled and replied,

"Thank you. I am."

I smiled and trotted off the stage.
    Save the world, run for president, you already won once, win it a second time and actually take it this time, damn it!

Fredi
    Last edited by Subway; 05-31-2007 at 04:29 AM.
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

I'm curious what your thoughts are on Al Gore having a mansion that consumes 10 times the energy of the average household?
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Gore isn't going to save anything except for his breath in the upcoming election. Simply put, he should not run for so many reasons.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey
    I'm curious what your thoughts are on Al Gore having a mansion that consumes 10 times the energy of the average household?
    I think it's only fair to compare overall CO2 balance of all the things a person does. For example if you take an airplane to a meeting where you help a business to reduce their CO2 output by much more than the CO2 output of your flight, than that's a good thing. The same for Gore's house, if it helps him to relax and think about big things, like the movie he made, than that's still better than someone living in a treehouse who does nothing else to reduce CO2 output. Of course if the situation was that everyone would already love to reduce CO2, that his movie would'nt better the motivation of anyone, than he better should move into a solar panel treehouse.

Fredi

You have a future in spin doctoring. Hell yes you do.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Yeah Subby, have to admit, as many things as Al Gore has to way that may be important, he is a bit of a hypocrit when it comes to his own lifestyle...

Though all politicians are, so that in itself doesn't make him any worse than any other.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Let he who is in no way hypocritical be the first to take a torch to Al Gore's mansion.

If that's the case, his house is... well, safe as houses.

I'm still not so sure that you'd want a guy like him in power, just jumping from one extreme to the other.

Mark my words, instead of a useless war on the other side of the world, he'll have all you American types filling out daily carbon emissions forms, with tax penalties for those not meeting the national, pre-determined standards.

What fun!
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Quote Originally Posted by hurricaneone
    What fun!
    Life isn't about fun.

Fredi

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    You tree huggers could beat the fun out of hot'n'horny twins in a sky-high Vegas hotel suite by holding us all to task about how we overfilled the jacuzzi.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

I think Gore is genuine when he talks about the environment. If that's true, he'll stay away from the White House. He knows he can get more done as a private citizen.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on Al Gore spending twice as much on his energy bill to ensure that the energy comes from renewable sources such as wind and solar power?

Quote Originally Posted by yasunobu13
    I'm curious what your thoughts are on Al Gore spending twice as much on his energy bill to ensure that the energy comes from renewable sources such as wind and solar power?
    I'm glad you asked. I think its stupid.

If his concern is about the environment, why not live in an energy efficient house AND pay for special energy? Even if we are to buy the notion that paying twice your energy bill will reduce your mansions footprint by 10 fold, if everybody uses that model of action, we won't be any further ahead in CO2 output terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Subway
    I think it's only fair to compare overall CO2 balance of all the things a person does. For example if you take an airplane to a meeting where you help a business to reduce their CO2 output by much more than the CO2 output of your flight, than that's a good thing. The same for Gore's house, if it helps him to relax and think about big things, like the movie he made, than that's still better than someone living in a treehouse who does nothing else to reduce CO2 output. Of course if the situation was that everyone would already love to reduce CO2, that his movie would'nt better the motivation of anyone, than he better should move into a solar panel treehouse.

Fredi
    Ive always admired your going-down-with-the-ship courage.

I've read that the Gores not only buy "green" energy from renewable sources, but they're also in the middle of installing solar panels, and they purchase carbon offsets to reduce their carbon footprint to zero.
    Kinda silly comparing a mansion to an average house in the first place.
    Wouldn't it be more fair to see how they compare to other mansions of the same size or other families of similar wealth and lifestyles instead?
    Even if you don't personally like him or agree with his lifestyle isn't the message more important than attacking the messenger?

Not if it changes the message to "some of us are exempt from what I'm preaching we do." In that case, it would behoove that movement to pick someone else to head up the charge, imo.

Again, what is the point of offsetting carbon output? I thought the goal was to reduce carbon output.

Al Gore
    -Sells more books by not entering early
    -Gets to focus more on his vision then personality politics.
    -Stays out of the early mudslinging.

Is there a term limit on Vice Presidents?
    After all the stuff flies and the final match up is on it would be easier for a Barak Obama to choose Al Gore as a running mate then Hilary.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricaneone
    I'm still not so sure that you'd want a guy like him in power, just jumping from one extreme to the other.
    What other extreme view/s has he held in the past that he has moved to an opposing point of view on? Did he used to own a fleet of Hummers, shares in polluting industries or something similar?

david
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by david petley
    Did he used to own a fleet of Hummers, shares in polluting industries or something similar?

david
    some of his family money comes from mining and oil.

Instead of arguing about what his books or movie say.. perhaps the best judgment of his potential presidency would be to look at the legislation he supported as a senator and his actions as a vp.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Not if it changes the message to "some of us are exempt from what I'm preaching we do." In that case, it would behoove that movement to pick someone else to head up the charge, imo.

Again, what is the point of offsetting carbon output? I thought the goal was to reduce carbon output.
    Sorry Charlie. The message hasn't changed and it's just as important as ever to pay attention to it instead of getting distracted with petty sniping.
    Besides, I don't see how you can say he's made himself exempt.
    If he was just sitting on his fat butt being an energy hog like most of us I would agree with you but he's obviously not.
    It seems that he's both reducing carbon output with the solar panels and buying green energy and then offsetting what's left over.
    That's exactly what he's been preaching all along in his movie. Both reducing and offsetting.
    Whatever gets each of us to a footprint of zero is a step in the right direction. Maybe not a 100% cure all solution in the long run but at least it's a step in the right direction. Wouldn't you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyLittleCar
    Instead of arguing about what his books or movie say.. perhaps the best judgment of his potential presidency would be to look at the legislation he supported as a senator and his actions as a vp.
    Pft - you're trying to turn our electoral system into some type of merticracy where the most qualified and competant people are elected. What's wrong with you man? Why do you hate America?
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.