A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Designing A Website

Baldrickated

Designing A Website

Ok, I can code a website fine. I don't need help with that. It's designing a website i need help with.

http://www.althorne-online.co.uk/goca

I've got a template (I MADE) on it, it's all loaded into an iframe in the middle.

I've gone for a green look and i want to know how it can look better.

Any Ideas? Graphical only please, not coding.

This is going to sound mean, but Im better at criting than designing of late.
    its really ugly.

you need to rethink your sizes, your colours, your font sizes, your flow.
    where you have the "check this ultimate site and weep"... the text is too small in the area its scrolling across, also because of the dark colours you can hardly read the text.

On general your preportions seem out, theres too much space around all your elements and none of them are actually seeming connected.
    Re think your colours, your font choice too... its way html retro.

Baldrickated
    The "Check this ultimate site and weep" was something i put up there just so there was something.

And i know it's ugly. That's why i'm asking for design help

as for my opinion, i dislike the use of frame on website so i would get rid of that.

The color is all green, you would need other colors to compliment that. If you want green to dominate then try work it with colors or shades that would not 'override' or in conflict with its dominance. Such plain colors like light yellow, blue..etc would work (i think) and dont forget to add some blacks and whites (they serve as 'rest area' for eyes to see).

The font-style should really relates to the subject of the web. Like if your web is full of techno stuffs then go for futuristic fonts...etc.

it is a very good idea for you to check out coolsites forum here and see what's the trend nowadays. learn from others and corperate the technics to your own style of use

goodluck
    -juju

Where to start? What's with the table border for the menu, the scrolling crap at the top, you mixture of fonts.

I suggest you do a little more studying and/or just grab some magazines and look at their layouts. Surf a little. Frames have a use, but where you have them they make no sense.

The first rule of design is in typography font usage. Just because you have hundreds of fonts on your computer doesn't mean you have to use all of them on the same page.

This looks like some of the early html crap we saw in the nineties. It says nothing for the content.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

It's not bad for a basic design, but you need to rethink your colors.

The top and bottom are fine. But the navigation and content area look horrible. Black text on a dark blue background? Not good at all. Make the dark blue lighter so it matches the rest of the site, change the font to a lighter color (white or light grey would be good). And change the navigation's text color to something lighter. The purple looks horrible.

what programs have you got available to you?

I dont know if you did this already but its also good to sketch out your idea or create a layout in photoshop and if you find a great colour scheme, try online colour schemers like http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html to try fool around with colours. =)
    No one will ever know how much you try, exept your self.. so suprize them.