A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: classpaths with papervision3d

classpaths with papervision3d

hi,
    I found a version of papervision3d at http://wiki.papervision3d.org/index....nload_from_SVN

I then tried to download the source files for someone's example at http://mrdoob.com/lab/pv3d/ball_ao/

I'm new to this and I can't get it to work. in fact, I really see no code that imports any classes (but the same was true for some source files programmed with Sandy and they worked). I can't figure out where to place these files, or what classpaths to set - or if the problem is I'm using Flash 8 and this is as3 or something. Please help.

I'd suggest a tad bit more research. It's, in it's current form, optimized for Flash 8, so you shouldn't add AS3 to the mix, that's a CS3 addition... but in it, the engine is quite complex.

I've personally not played with Papervision3D quite yet... but I swore that there was an official forum for them somewhere. I thought it was at OSFlash.org, but I'm not seeing it.

I'll see if I can muster up some guys that have been playing in this. Didn't want you to think that your post went by unnoticed.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

thanks
    I'll keep working at it as well

Upon downloading the SVN version, build 74 on the AS2 side to make sure I got the same version as you... there are no external classpaths.

if you run into examples with *.as files, they should always be placed alongside the *.swf and *.fla file (during build) from what I've done/used in the past.

Or are you talking about the Doc Class. I'm still poking around.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

yeah that's the version I got.
    I'm trying to run the example in the second link I sent (that page has a link to the source for the example it's showing) by placing it within the papervision3d directories I downloaded, but I don't know where to put it. On top of that, when I looked in BallRadiosity.fla, there was absolutely no code in there, so I was wondering how in the heck it was supposed to run anything.

although I wasn't sure how the ballradiosity.fla was importing the main.as code, I went ahead and looked at the main.as file anyways - its list of imports is as follows:

import flash.display.*;
    import flash.events.*;

// Import Papervision3D
    import org.papervision3d.scenes.*;
    import org.papervision3d.objects.*;
    import org.papervision3d.cameras.*;
    import org.papervision3d.materials.*;
    import org.papervision3d.events.*;

I found all the folders after the commented code in both the as2 and as3 sides of papervision, except for events, which was only in as3, so I can only assume that I need to put the ball radiosity source files somewhere in the as3 directory, and that I need as3 to run this. will as3 not run on flash8? also, I have no idea what flash.display and flash.events are. I don't see those directories anywhere in papervision or the source files from the second link. are these some kind of default packages?
    sorry for all the questions, like I said, this is all new to me.