A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Microsoft Expression Studio - System Requirements for MAC

Microsoft Expression Studio - System Requirements for MAC

Hello All,

I notice that on the system requirements page for Microsoft's Expression Studio that the MAC system requirements under hard drive are 20 Megs, but under the Windows system the hard drive requirements are 1.5 gigs.

My guess is that this is a typo, it should probably say 2.0 gigs for the MAC?

Thank you for your attention.

I think the only component of Microsoft Expression that is currently available for the Mac platform is just the playback plugins for WPF/E and Silverlight betas.

The old Expression by Creature House with it's skeletal strokes and what not is still downloadable, but it's not the same product as the current stuff by Microsoft.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Thanks Gerbick...do you think Microsoft will make the Expression Studio available for the MAC at some point?

I've been wondering that. You can still download the Creature House version - 3.77b (or something therein) is the latest I can still find that's downloadable for the Mac platform.

I'd honestly say no. The push for XAML, WPF/e and Silverlight to play on all platforms is one thing that MS is trying to do... but they're really pushing for Expression to be an extension of Visual Studio.NET to be the ultimate end of that development cycle. And it needs .NET to run... which, they've not updated on the Mac Platform past the 1.0 cycle. It's currently at 3.5 beta now.

The Expression Design tool is pretty cool, I'm testing it on Vista at the moment; however the suite leaves a lot to be desired imho.

But on a Mac? I don't think it'll go past that very last version that Creature House had created. At least that's what I've been seeing so far. Which sucks... I've been an Expression user since Fractal Design Expression 1.01.

Gerbick...well let me ask you this:

Given the upcoming Leopard release on the Mac in October (so far) and the enhanced Bootcamp that is shipping with it...do you believe it would be possible to run Expression Studio on a MAC with Windows Vista running via Bootcamp?

Yep. Can also use Parallels instead.

As Mr. Burns would say "Excellent". All I can hope now is that Expression Studio functions the same under such an environment as it would on a PC running Vista....