A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8]online flash animation tool

purple lizard

[F8]online flash animation tool

Right, I know some of you find me quite annoying, but anyway, could anyone please help me with making something like this? It's a little animator made in flash. Please could someone edit what i've made so far? I know how to make it so that you can draw with the mouse, but I dunno how to make it so that you press a button to make a new frame, and then you can play and stop the result. Please may you help, thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gecko.jsc; 06-17-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Student
    get it here:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=98

nothing comes free esspecially not with such a retarded behaviour,- go and learn & ask yourself regarding what you need in order to dot it yourself!

purple lizard
    FINE, I'll do it myself! I think i'm getting some good ideas on how to do it.

Student
    ask as much as you want regarding learning to do it yourself,- but asking someone else doing work for you is absolutely not ok imo.

Drawing API tutorials are propably the 1st things I´d start with if I didnt knew yet enough about that material. After that tweening class or even better custom tween classes like the ones from robert penner are next step towards custom animations. You´ll need some storing architecture like XML serialized objects/arrays to store your shapes and tweens.

I've been looking into doing an advanced use for the same thing and I have yet to find a resource-friendly method to store the animation frames.. There doesn't appear to be a way to copy a graphic to a specific frame of a movieclip... (please please someone tell me im wrong!) I was thinking each drawing could be stored in an array then looped back, but i think it would be sloppy, especially for my use which includes the potential for a 100 or more animations happening at once lol...
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

Student
    @ EvolveDesigns:
    are you talking about AS3? ,- cause starting with AS3 you have control over single frames of a movieClip- even one generated with AS.
    I would solve the movements with specified tween motions applied to transformations and store booth in a linear array. Frame switching (as we know it from Flash IDE when each frame contains a different content) is rather an exception imo. and should be stored or solved differently- e.g a new tween instance thus a new apperance.
    But in general I´d do the same as Flash itself does wich is instancinating graphic elements so you only need to store it once - and use just a reference within the array when storing a new key/tween- frame.

Anyway it appears that some custom tweening classes are way faster as the built in tween classes inlcuded in Flash 7+ and way more faster as the IDE timeline tweens.

you have control over single frames of a movieClip

do you know of a link for info on that? Haven't started playing with AS3 yet, but this would be a good reason to start!
    the natural selection

purple lizard
    I'm doing it a really simple yet long way. I like make loads and loads of movieclips with the same action to make you draw with the mouse, but just change the name each time, then put them all on like 50 frames, but move the last movieclip out of view, then make a play button that will play the whole thing. Very long, but good enough for me!

I'm not sure how they did it, but I would require the user to draw with lines (which are easy to store, just need the beginning and end point and any styles) saving all the information for each line in an array, then saving every line in a frame in an array also. When they want to go to the next frame to draw then clear it and start over with frame 2's array. Then when they want to play, just call up each array to be drawn then clear it.

That of course is the simplest and easiest way I can think of.
    Whoever taught EVERYONE to put all their code on movie clips needs to be shot...

Quote Originally Posted by Speed85
    then saving every line in a frame in an array also. When they want to go to the next frame to draw then clear it and start over with frame 2's array.
    in theory maybe, but how to draw to a frame? the drawing api isn't frame based, that's where im stuck
    the natural selection

Student
    well at least the button class works instance based (in AS3) so I assume that the same goes for movieClips there,- I have only coded with button classes, sprite and bitmap ones but I assume that movieClip frame creating follows the same sheme.

Then again it´s redicules doing it the way you´d do it in the FLASH IDE,- I often recieved faster results in tweening and displaying objects doing it my way wich was reduced to my needs. Just write a class that displays/ hide´s and attaches linkages or dynamic content (images, swf,...) and some tween class that tweens objects and variables for you