A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sandyrivers vs clicky2 | It's about time...

Quote Originally Posted by RUSHVision
    I love it, Clickster. That text treatment is tight and the composition is wonderful. Very nice, dude.

If I had to crit this image I would say that the outer glow on the bird pic might look a little better if it were more of a shadow and less of a uniform glow. The glow does a nice job of setting it off from the wall, but I don't think that darkness should be present above the image. Her shoulder has a grey edge that kind of catches the eye as well. Otherwise though, I really like it.
    Good call on that shadow and grey edge. Bugs the living hell out of me now ... especially the later. Just carelessness on my part really.

Niiiice!! Agreed with Rush, cool text arrangement.
    |"Silence teaches you how to sing"

Don't know if I quite pulled it off, but...

Big thanks to Rush for his advice on text layout...

Crits/Comments welcome!

-Sandy

That is awesome... I'm assuming that is the front of her face vs the back of her head!

"A look back out at the world"

Great job Sandy.

Oh sure, blame me. I'll take credit for suggesting 'beauty' stand out a little more, but that's it. That layout is all yours, bud.

I do think the skull could use a slightly heavier shadow at least right under the head portion, but I really like the way you put that together. Great concept and imagery.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Yeah that skull is still sticking out there IMO. I dunno what happened to my shadow... it looked a lot better before I started messing with the text and frame treatment... I guess it kinda got washed out and I didn't notice it...

Thanks for the crit(s), Rush! While it is true that the layout is mine, your thoughts on the subject were very well received (if not used entirely)!

I appreciate the comments, all!

-Sandy

Ok... crit:

First of all let me say that I really do like the concept behind this image.
    I'm liking your treatment of your blending, overlays and color choices, it gives the image depth and perspective. Good Job.

A few things I am going to nit pick at:
    1: Personally Im not a fan of your font treatment and color chose on your text, it gets lost in the coloring of the foreground and I dont like the way you've scattered the text either; a statement like that should be represented as simply and strikingly as possible. I do understand that you wanted to fill some of your negative space there, but in all it actually distracts from the visual aspects of the image. Which should be the real message IMO.
    2: I cant quite tell if the humming bird's head is floating in the image or resting on the ground? The only reason this stands out to me is because it messes with the depth aspect of the overall image; which makes it look like you basically just pasted it there.
    3: There's not really much Clicky can take from this to evolve into the next image.

Those are the only real negatives I can see here, minor finishes and attention to small details. You've got a good eye for what works and what doesn't, keep the good work coming!

Hey Nats,

Thanks for the crit!

I guess I have a hard time with typography. I see what you are saying, and actually Rush suggested that I do something a bit different as well. I thought the flow was ok, so I went with it, taking some of his ideas into consideration while doing so. I got tired of looking at it over the weekend, so I just went with it. Next time I'll spend a lot more time on my text layout and really think it through.

I am sooo in agreement about that skull... no matter what I did to it, I just couldn't get it to look like it wasn't pasted in there. Rush's suggestion of a heavier shadow prolly woulda worked. I had a really heavy shadow on at one point, but it looked fake to me. This was the only hummingbird skull I could find a pic of... I think it woulda been better if I coulda got one at a 3/4 profile instead of side shot like that, but by that point I was kinda commited to the concept so I went with it.

Hopefully clicky can pull enough out of it to volley up. I think there is enough there to work with, but I'm new so what do I know...

Thanks for the crit, Nats! I really appreciate it and will take those things with me to the next image!

-Sandy

about the skull:

it is more of a placement angle of your skull rather than heavy shadowing it. if you would have just tilted the skull about 5degree anticlockwise then it would look more like lying flat on top of the floor. then just a slight showdow underneath and that should do it.

also, it looks like pasted now because the skull is being compared to the deadflower on the right which is dark and [too] high in contrast. In my opinion im pretty happy the the skull but i would tone down the deadflower instead.

-juju

Thanks, Juju!

Cool Sandy. I'll try to have something back at you after the weekend.

As for the overall piece, like it. Text ... just keep practicing. Most of the time I don't think about it until the very end UNLESS I plan on making it an integral part of my design. Think minimal and try to let your imagery do the talking for you. If you want to incorporate it as a design element just make sure it compliments the mood of your piece in size, shape and color/effects.

Thanks, clicky! Hopefully you have enough to work with.

As for turnaround, take your time. I'm on vacation beginning tomorrow, so I won't be back until Monday anyway...

I appreciate the suggestions!

-Sandy

Ok, since the whole reason for me to being battling was to get better with PS and my layout and composition skills (and because it's super-slow here at work today), I went ahead and tried to fix the problems from my volley. Here is the new one:

What do you think? Better? Worse?

Thanks for the crits, gang... really. I need this stuff to get better...

clickster, feel free to use either for your return (since they're basically the same).

-Sandy

MUUUUCH! Better!
    This text looks more balanced to me, the shadow is great!

Sandy ... might be another day or two. Just picked up a 'ready to assemble' wood play set for my son (getting ready to turn 2, it's his b-day present) this weekend and it's taking longer than I thought to put together.

Ready to build my arse. Thing requires more drilling than ... well ... um ... anyway, it's just a pain.

Thanks for the update. I'm not in any rush.

-Sandy
    Sigs R4 Suckers! Wait... I mean.... nevermind...

Thanks for being patient. I'm going to work up something tonight and post over the weekend.

Sounds good!

Good work guys, good to see you here Sandy

looking forward to seeing whats coming next

Thanks, BP for the compliment and the bump!

-Sandy