A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: is it possible...

is it possible...

to read the favourites folder? say in IE, with using Apollo? I know its possible to save a URL to someones favourites using JS, but is the reverse possible?

boombanguk

I've just been told Zinc can do this, so can Apollo/AIR??

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Zinc...hmmm...let me tell you a secret about my copy of Zinc. Even in beta.....AIR rendered it useless to me.

Enough of that...Favorites folder?...sure can.....

rendered useless? you mean you have no need for zinc anymore?

thanks for that screenshot, so I know now its possible! , but can you post some code or point me to some code that does that? or is it something really simple to do with AIR?

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boombanguk
    rendered useless? you mean you have no need for zinc anymore?
    Play with that Scrappy example (drag in/ drag out) and you may feel the way I do

Quote Originally Posted by Boombanguk
    thanks for that screenshot, so I know now its possible! , but can you post some code or point me to some code that does that? or is it something really simple to do with AIR?

Yeah, that was populated with a FileSystemList component simply pointing to the Favorites directory as the parent of the list. You can target directories and files just like Zinc and I don't have to use one of the components if I don't want to (I just did there because it was quick) and can target any file(s) or directories and maniupulate them in many ways irregardless of a component. The AIR developers guide explains better than I can (with examples) how they handle the file system.

cool, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Seahorn
    Play with that Scrappy example (drag in/ drag out) and you may feel the way I do Yeah, that was populated with a FileSystemList component simply pointing to the Favorites directory as the parent of the list. You can target directories and files just like Zinc and I don't have to use one of the components if I don't want to (I just did there because it was quick) and can target any file(s) or directories and maniupulate them in many ways irregardless of a component. The AIR developers guide explains better than I can (with examples) how they handle the file system.

What are we talking here, Flex builder of Flash CS3 to create the above example? because I would much rather use Flash.

how would I create the example you gave using Flash CS3/AIR extension?